Underwater Man by Dr. Joe MacInnis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My copy is a paperback edition. Copyright 1974 McClelland and Stewart ISBN 0-919317-08-1. 165pg's.

Picture544.jpg

Recently Sam M. suggested I look for books by this Canadian author and shortly thereafter I found the above copy in a used book store. It was a good suggestion.

Dr. MacInnis 's first book is a collection of essays (chapters) that recall his entry into the arena of decompression medicine and deep sea diving. This was the second wave of ocean exploration following JYC, H. Hess and others. In particular he chronicles his experiences with submersibles, UW habitats (such as Deep Diver and Sub Igloo) and experimental deep chamber dives. There is also mention of such notables of the time as Philippe Cousteau, Edwin Link, Robert Stenuit and a young Phil Nyutten (Canadian inventor of the Newt suit).

Chapters include:
Internship
Treasure Island
Preparation
Man in Sea
One hundred Fathoms
Grand Banks
Seven hundred feet
South American Salvage
The Ice Lovers
Mayday in Michigan
Diving beneath Artic Ice
Philippe: Spirit of Calypso
Bottom of the top of the World

I enjoyed this book a lot. The chapters are short, easy reading with a good mix of adventure and insight into that era of diving. This was the time that I first became aware of diving (early teens) and I remember being fascinated by such projects as Sealab and Conshelf. This book allowed me to revisit those times and gain a bit of a better insight into the planning and personalities that drove them. I liked it so much, in fact, that I picked up another one of his books today "The Breadalbane Adventure" which I will review just as soon as I read it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom