Dr. Daniel Joseph Manion, M.D.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Deep air diving world-record holder, Dr. Daniel Joseph Manion, M.D., passed away on June 10, 2018.

I searched SB but didn't find anything about the passing of Dr. Daniel Manion in 2018, so I thought I'd post it now. The first time I ever heard about him was in 1997 when my girlfriend in England gave me the book Deep Diving: An Advanced Guide to Physiology, Procedures and Systems by Brett Gilliam, Robert von Maier and John Crea as a birthday present. I stumbled upon his obituary today when I was writing about deep diving records.

Dr. Manion set a deep air diving record in 1994 to 509 feet at Clifton's Wall in Nassau, Bahamas. I dove Clifton's Wall in 1989. It's a popular dive site. When I was a training director at PSAI, I learned about Manion's training in detail. He collected as much information from deep air record holders as he could, started a grueling physical fitness program and diet where he dropped 40 or 50 pounds, and began acclimating himself to deep air diving. His dive was recorded by two computers and 509 feet was the most conservative of the two units adjusted for sea water. He didn't remember reaching maximum depth, but regained awareness and memory during his ascent.

Today, we view such records as nothing more than foolish stunts. But the adventurous spirit of those willing to pioneer human physiology when breathing air and mixed gases led us to the safety procedures we use today. They are the giants upon whose shoulders we stand.

His dive was recorded by two computers and 509 feet was the most conservative of the two units adjusted for sea water. He didn't remember reaching maximum depth, but regained awareness and memory during his ascent.
That'd be a scary story if he'd dove to 130-feet deep, much less over 500. Wow. From the obituary you linked:

"Although Dan was a careful diver who consulted with leading experts to plan his record dive, he later suffered severe decompression sickness ascending from a dive and underwent extended hospital care and rehabilitation. Dan recovered significantly but experienced residual spinal cord injury that limited his physical activity."

The account reads like a great guy, very accomplished and much-loved. I'm not out to arm chair quarterback his adventures or say where 'the line' should be drawn between adventurousness and recklessness. I'm just saying 'pushing it' can come back to bite you. I'm glad he made it through so long. It says his record stood till 1999.

It's hard to imagine going down to 500 feet on air.... At 200 feet, the few times I did this in open water, I'd feel pretty "comfortably numb." Like being wrapped up in a marshmallow. I think most people would tend to pass out much beyond 200 feet, with some exceptions obviously.

I don't want to be morbid - but my first dive trip after being certified we had a diver on the boat (Nassau) that was supposed to be a dr from ksc that had a record for air depth - on our dive he got bent very badly (he didn't dive with us - he went solo before anyone else got in the water) - this was memorial day weekend 1994. I've always wondered if this was Dr. Manion but can't find any information on when he had his DCS. I also can't find when in 1994 he set his record. If it was him, that was one wild year for him. It was a shock to us to see someone get DCS on our first dive trip. It has been a reminder to me to pay attention and dive safe for 25+ years now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom