Underwater drilling tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vixtor,

I have used the same drill from harbor Freight (a crappy tool store in the USA).
The drills are basically throw aways as parts are generally not available.
I used it underwater for drilling holes in a 3/16 steel plate to mount a memorial plaque. Then we threw it away.
It sounds like you are doing this top side. I didn't see what size holes you are drilling. I have drilled my share of holes in concrete with standard drill motors with carbide tipped drills.
Depending on the size of hole you may want to do it in two stages. For example, if you are wanting a final hole size of 5/8'' or 3/4'' diameter (16 to 19mm), you may find it easier to start with a 1/4'' (6mm) drill. There is a thing called a web on a drill that makes starting with a large drill difficult. You will find drilling this small hole will make the job much more pleasurable. If you have a third hand or a helper, squirting water into the hole to flush out the powder and keep it cool will also help.
Don't know how many holes you have to drill , but if your location is fairly remote take extra drills. You can always return what you don't use.

Randy

Ultathermatic cutting rods require only enought power to ignite the strands inside it, that can be done with a car battery. The problem is the whole thing still needs a hose from a cylinder of oxygen to work.

Then there is having to fill the hole you make using the Broco rod. They are not very accurate. Sort of like driving a nail into balsa wood with a 20 lb sledge hammer.
We had a self-contained cutting system with a motorcycle battery and a 40 of oxygen. The hole was a bit sloppy in the rock face, but it cut rather quickly and we used an expansion bolt to hold ... but all it was for was transect lines that needed to be highly reproducible ... not much strain on the bolt.

You might also consider drilling one hole, or finding a hole or natural depression in the mole (I am going to assume it was constructed of large rocks) and epoxy one steel member or reinfocing steel rod, and build a new base of concrete around that with your anchors for your instrument embedded in the new concrete. Kind of like making an anchor weight to mount the instrument on. Post photo of installation site if you want more ideas.

Good idea. Maybe a length of stainless cable (wire rope) and a swage connector?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom