Underwater binoculars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, all they would do is magnify all the critters, alge and other stuff that makes up the turbidity in the water column.

Potentially useful in some circumstances. The better the viz, the better the view. And as long as the object you are trying to view is mid-range.

No, all they would do is magnify all the critters, alge and other stuff that makes up the turbidity in the water column.

Agreed. I have never, not even once, had issues seeing or identifying something under water due to distance other than when visibility is the problem. Now if you could come up with x-ray glasses that see thru the turbidity you might have something, but underwater binoculars? I don't think so.

yes it works, but it takes tons of hardware to do it, also it is debatable as to how healthy it is for the recipients of such signals. Having dove in an underwater sonar test range and having been literally shaken in the water. At this level, you can purchase commercial sonar systems for mapping the bottom, finding objects in the water, etc.

I found a pair underwater on one of my dives, but they made everything look REALLY, REALLY bad. I guess the lenses were just too encrusted!

Unless the binoculars could magically see through turbidity, then they have no use. I've never been on a dive where my eyesight was the limiting factor - it's always visibility. What's the best underwater viz in the world? Maybe 60m? You don't need binos for that!

I would have far more use with a magnifying glass.

Handheld underwater mini-sonars are available. Useful for locating wrecks in bad viz.

Things are already 33% bigger, no need to make them bigger. Can you imagine the stories of all the big fish that you would get ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom