Underwater amusement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpcpat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm working on my Divemaster this summer, so I'm helping out an instructor with students quite a bit.

A lot of the time with students is spent waiting in the platform at 25ft freezing our butts off. Any suggestions on what to do to keep everybody amused while the instructor heads to the surface with a student?

Juggling golf balls seems to work for a bit, and demonstrating a head down hover is fun. People like to imitate it, and usually kick just a bit...enough to propel them headfirst into the platform.

Im usually happy just breathing underwater... as for students, I always got a kick out of the Toypedos

Might try cranking someone's air off for a spontaneous OOA drill....or using complicated hand signals that don't mean anything over and over....

Pointing out into the water behind new divers, wide-eyed and giving the shark sign is always very entertaining!

Movement helps with warmth, though I'm guessing you don't want to swim circles around the platform. What's the main reason everyone's freezing their butt's off? If you're all using 7mm's with gloves and hoods, would it be possible to try layering with a vest? Obviously drysuits are out for the OW class, but layering may be a way to teach the students they can be warmer in those conditions using the means available.

work on your bubble skills
corbin7.jpg

Nailer99:
Might try cranking someone's air off for a spontaneous OOA drill....or using complicated hand signals that don't mean anything over and over....

The first part of this is likely to get you fired (at least if you were my divemaster working with my students) and then also sued...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom