Underwater amusement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tic tac toe can be amusing on the platforms. Actually I want you swimming circles around the students keeping them herded in.

Nailer99:
Might try cranking someone's air off for a spontaneous OOA drill....or using complicated hand signals that don't mean anything over and over....
I hope this was meant as a joke, but sadly enough I know one instructor who still does this. Let me assure you he's not my instructor.

Platform: If you have a rinse tank on site, demonstrating different bouyancy characteristics of equipment is a good thing to do. Especially if you have two different brands of tanks. I know Luxfer makes a N80 that is actually negatively bouyant. Same for fins. Scubapro twinjets come in 3 different bouyancy characteristics. Best thing is to have them sit down near you and talk you through the RDP for the dive as you watch divers come up and in, should be done in pencil as newbies make mistakes.

In water: I'm thinking frozen peas for the fishes or take a bottle of carbonated soft drink (coke or pepsi work best because of color) and show them how to drink a beverage underwater. One thing we had students in Cuba work on was buddy gear exchange in the water. That's always a hoot for you and the students.

Being a DM intern, you have to be focused on the students, so anything that is a skill builder for them while you ensure safety of returning divers is a must.

Have fewer students in the water at the same time and give them an engaging diving experience. Platform time is a time and gas killer, not diver development.

Pete

Excuse me for being a noob, but what is a 25ft platform and what is it used for?

SNorman:
Excuse me for being a noob, but what is a 25ft platform and what is it used for?
S Norman,

I should have been clearer! At Dutch Springs, the owners have suspended several platforms at 25 ft from the surface. It's a great spot for Open water training, without the ecological damage and viz killing silt clouds you would get if you use the bottom.

Nailer99:
Might try cranking someone's air off for a spontaneous OOA drill....or using complicated hand signals that don't mean anything over and over....

Bahaha!!! Thats terrible! :lol:

SNorman:

It's like a submerged deck, usually slimy wood, usually found in quarries. Students are mostly on their knees demonstrating skills. Very boring. :shakehead

SNorman:

For me, a 25ft platform is where I find myself if I go to the beach, gear up, swim out a couple hundred yards and descend :)

But I think they use them in quarries to provide artificial bottoms... which makes me wonder how deep these things actually are :11:

cowboyneal:
The first part of this is likely to get you fired (at least if you were my divemaster working with my students) and then also sued...

wow, I had to go through that harasment training. Two buddies exchanging a bolt with washers and nuts in a specific order while instructor and DMs remove masks, remove regulators, inflate BCs, shut off air, purge air from BC and disconect the inlator hose... it wasn't bad untill they gang up on ya.

what, next your going to tell me your BOW instructor wasn't an X frogman who made you swim a mile, most of it with 10 lbs of lead on your waist either?

...and to think I believed it was all just normal training...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom