Undersuit - Weezle, Flectalon, or...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schwerve

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, me again. I'm tall and thin - except for a bit of a spare tire, which I'm working on (I swear!) - so I need serious insulation. The question is whether to get a Weezle undersuit, a Northern Diver flectalon undersuit, or something else.

The primary issue by far, is insulative value. I hate being cold.
Buoyancy characteristics are a not-so-distant second, tied with minimal trapping of air.
Cost is right behind those.

Opinions?

BigJetDriver69,

That's all you seem to post about it - "Weezle is kewl!" Please provide a reason. :)

Allow me to be the voice who says "Weezle ISN'T cool," and not just to piss off BJD.

There are several reports on here of divers who've had uncontrolled ascents because the thin lining of their underwear got caught in the exhaust dump of the drysuit.

Furthermore, Weezle requires an excessive amount of air inside the suit in order to stay warm.

Personally, I got my hands on some Diving Concepts thinsulate extreme, and I now know there are two types of divers out there... those who've tried it and now own it, and those who haven't tried it yet. That stuff is awesome.

Thin, warm, flexible... I've flooded my suit in 55 degree water. As in, got out and physically had to wring water out of my underwear, soaked flooded. I didn't notice until I got on the boat and took off my suit that I was wet.

schwerve:
BigJetDriver69,

That's all you seem to post about it - "Weezle is kewl!" Please provide a reason. :)

Actually, sir, I say that Weezle is "warm". It is light-weight, comfortable to move in, and, by all report, insulates well even when wet. I have not, however, flooded my drysuit to test that one. (Brrrrr!:11: )

I have the moderate weight NATO suit.

R

Boogie711:
There are several reports on here of divers who've had uncontrolled ascents because the thin lining of their underwear got caught in the exhaust dump of the drysuit.

Furthermore, Weezle requires an excessive amount of air inside the suit in order to stay warm.

I, too, read those reports. I asked the Weezles themselves at DEMA about them.

Their response was that the problems occurred with a particular brand of valve, the particular model of which has since been re-called by the manufacturer.

As for the amount of air, it certainly does not need as much as my old wooly-bears!:11:

Cheers! :D

Rob

BigJetDriver69,

I didn't intend to piss you off. It's just that I wish for something more substantial than what was said initially; no offense, but it makes one sound like a shill.

I've been diving with a weezle suit for about two years and have found it alright. It is very comfortable and does keep you dry even when drysuit is leaking like a sieve(unfortunately I know this from first hand experience.) But the thing that I don't like is that for the weezle to work properly you must have a suffient amount of air in your suit. I prefer to dive with my drysuit serane wrapped around me, so it doesn't always keep me that warm. Diving in the atlantic I like to stay warm.

schwerve:
BigJetDriver69,

I didn't intend to piss you off. It's just that I wish for something more substantial than what was said initially; no offense, but it makes one sound like a shill.

No offense taken, sir! Hope my other posts helped!

Rob :D

Back
Top Bottom