Undersea nasties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're doing a night dive there on Saturday man

Cementco Wreck and Flinders Reef Afternoon/Night Dive

anyway I was walking through the sandy shallows of Port Phillip bay about to scoop some scallops from 15m
and proceeded to step on a stargazer so meaty and beefy and chunky and tough, it almost tipped me A over T
and really ugly even to its mother, I asked her

Just picked this up at the underground auction. One specimen of a handful or so in the world with this sought after pattern, a king among the conidae through sheer rarity, and I am happy to part with it to the highest bidder, accepting BTC and ETH.

Edit: damn just googled it and it's a volute shell. Should not have sold my car for this...
Some Volutes are fairly uncommon and can be worth at least a few bucks.

Just something I started age 15 or so, basically snorkeling in 1969. I label my collection entries according to location where they're found, and in a logical order up and down coasts--from Arctic to tropical waters, almost all in N.A. It was the only reason I took OW course when we moved to the East Coast in 2005. Later I got interested in other aspects, like DMing. Nevertheless, the vast majority of my collection are shells found empty, many while beachcombing.
I do find it interesting that a majority of divers have little or no interest in shells and find them very boring compared to other aquatic life. I am the opposite.
I don’t think I could take a live one: I would feel bad from killing the critter just to keep his shell :)

PS: I didn’t voice an opinion about taking empty shells :)

I don’t think I could take a live one: I would feel bad from killing the critter just to keep his shell :)

PS: I didn’t voice an opinion about taking empty shells :)
I hear ya. But as I said, a number of old threads on the "live" point.

I often keep empty shells and have shelves full of them. Sometimes I'm wrong and there is a Hermit Crab inhabitant that I couldn't see. I throw all of those back.

I hear ya. But as I said, a number of old threads on the "live" point.
So I was only stating what I’d do. I don’t want to voice an opinion on your activities :)

My friend nicknamed me "The Jellyfish Whisperer" because when I dive with him it seem like every form of jellyfish in the Pacific Ocean has to come greet us. LOL.

Well, one time I did a deep dive with a friend and my Jellyfish Whisperer powers where very strong. From 20 feet to 68 feet I think every Sea Nettle on plant earth was there. I've never seen a bloom this thick. It was nuts. So we are carefully working our way down knowing full well our faces are gonna get stung at some point but it's worth it because come on, a bad day of diving beats the heck out of an awesome day at work. Anyway, we're back on the boat, heading to the dock and putting white vinegar on our cheeks to ease the pain.

Back on shore, carry my gear to the car, and start taking my wetsuit off when all of a sudden my hands and feet are on fire!!! We had gone through so many Sea Nettles that our wetsuits were completely covered with their stingy thingies and they were still active enough to sting ya.

That's my only undersea nasties story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom