Undersea nasties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer collects live shells. He is a collector. He may not be the most popular diver on ScubaBoard because of this, but he is pretty thick skinned about it.
Yeah. Lots of old threads on this (since I joined in 2007), so no need to rehash it all here.
In keeping with the thread, to my knowledge, not that many cone shells are venomous. As I mentioned, Textile Cones. Also some of the exotic ones, like the once rarest shell in the world Glory-of-the Seas Cone. It was worth $1,200US in the '70s (70 known specimens) until a fisherman hauled up about 100 more of them in the Indo-Pacific. Now it's just "uncommon".
In googling cones, I was wrong. Apparently all are venomous to some degree. Smaller ones' amount to a bee sting. Larger ones can be fatal. But I'm not a conchologist.

Any of you americans had problems with Humboltd squid?
No problems but...

<iframe src="Humboldt Squid - The Red Devils of the Sea of Cortez from SDPaboojian on Vimeo" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="">Humboldt Squid - The Red Devils of the Sea of Cortez</a> from <a href="SDPaboojian">SDPaboojian</a> on <a href="Vimeo: Watch, upload, and share HD and 4K videos with no ads">Vimeo</a>.</p>

The dive guide said people had been stung by cone snails in this area, his English was not good but he said very very nasty, very very dangerous. Once you know they can be about it puts you off laying on the sand to look under rocks.
Perhaps is TM Heimer was thin skinned he would'nt be able to collect them

Yeah. Lots of old threads on this (since I joined in 2007), so no need to rehash it all here.
In keeping with the thread, to my knowledge, not that many cone shells are venomous. As I mentioned, Textile Cones. Also some of the exotic ones, like the once rarest shell in the world Glory-of-the Seas Cone. It was worth $1,200US in the '70s (70 known specimens) until a fisherman hauled up about 100 more of them in the Indo-Pacific. Now it's just "uncommon".
In googling cones, I was wrong. Apparently all are venomous to some degree. Smaller ones' amount to a bee sting. Larger ones can be fatal. But I'm not a conchologist.
Why do you collect them ? Out of curiosity

Any of you americans had problems with Humboltd squid?

I've seen online mention of people diving with them deliberately, wearing some sort of chain mail for armor. You raise an interesting issue; awareness of what's dangerous in an area. People new to diving may worry about sharks, maybe barracuda. Big green moray eels look dangerous (and are best respected). If you 'rubble crawl' right off the bottom (e.g.: ending shore dives in Bonaire in the shallows), swimming right over scorpionfish is worth knowing about. Lionfish can be a problem (not likely if left alone, but a guy got nailed in the leg on a night dive when not after them). Some jellyfish can be an issue. Swimming right over a stingray...

From what spearfishermen post on the forum, taking that up changes the game (e.g.: sharks taking an interest). Sticking your arm in a hole after a lobster makes moray eels more of a hazard. It's not just regional; it's what you're doing while diving.

Getting back to the OP, there are a few species of cone snail who's envenomation can cause serious distress or even death. None of these occur in North American waters.

Thank you for that. I have long wondered. Not that I'm eager to go handle them, but it's been a point of curiosity.

Richard.

Why do you collect them ? Out of curiosity
Just something I started age 15 or so, basically snorkeling in 1969. I label my collection entries according to location where they're found, and in a logical order up and down coasts--from Arctic to tropical waters, almost all in N.A. It was the only reason I took OW course when we moved to the East Coast in 2005. Later I got interested in other aspects, like DMing. Nevertheless, the vast majority of my collection are shells found empty, many while beachcombing.
I do find it interesting that a majority of divers have little or no interest in shells and find them very boring compared to other aquatic life. I am the opposite.

I do find it interesting that a majority of divers have little or no interest in shells and find them very boring compared to other aquatic life. I am the opposite.

I'm with you. I find marine snails to be absolutely fascinating. I started out with an interest in their shells only, but then grew more interested in their biology. Professionally I study frogs now, but I continue to be fascinated with marine snails. Interestingly, we know less about the ecology of snails than almost any other groups of animals.

Am no expert on the evolution of molluscs, other than they appear to have originated somewhere in the Indo Pacific (near the Philipines?), thus maybe 10 times the variety of species in the Pacific compared to Atlantic waters. But I think that may be said for other animals, such as fish.

Just picked this up at the underground auction. One specimen of a handful or so in the world with this sought after pattern, a king among the conidae through sheer rarity, and I am happy to part with it to the highest bidder, accepting BTC and ETH.

Edit: damn just googled it and it's a volute shell. Should not have sold my car for this...

Attachments

• IMG_5675.jpg
    IMG_5675.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 75

Back
Top Bottom