undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Polar Fleece, like SoftWear sale is awesome.
I use the 200g for temps down to 54° and I couldn't be happier. Heard great things about the Weasel brand under garments but personally have not tried those (yet).

mr soggy if i knew what to wear i wouldnt be asking the question...i did do a search but what i want to know is what to wear that wont add to much to the boyancy..i have read about thinsulate and polypro ect but nothing is mentioned about what each adds to boyancy if any..i dont want to buy something thts going to end up making me use a lot more weight..thanks for answering mrabqdiver and for the link as well..

It's not that simple.

The more compressible something is, the less buoyancy it will add and the less it will insulate you because the less air it will trap. The air is what keeps you warm.

Thinsulate is generally the material of choice because it keeps you warm even if it is wet.

Your goals are all messed up. The primary objective is to stay warm. You can't let your choice in undergarment be controlled by how much weight you will have to wear.

Taking a proper drysuit class or at the very least diving with an *experienced* drysuit diver will help with the weight.

Weasel extremes were mentioned above, they are excellent and I'd highly recomment one.

However as also said above the answer to your question depends on the diving. e.g. Do you dive in the winter? i.e. do you need two different base layers for the different water temps?

Personally I use a 100g wolly bear for the summer as the water is a nice 17 degree C and have an uderlayer of Fourth Element Xerotherm (roughly 100g) thermals i wear under it for the 4 degree C winter water.

With the wolly bear i use about 18lbs of weight and with the thermals i throw on another 4lbs.

Thermals are great but if you soend alot of time wandering around the dive site thermals are not the most flattering of things to wear :p I normally get into my wolly bear, and stay in it all day while on the dive site. So even though i think good thermal would add less buoyancy and so forth I would not go without a wolly bear.

The advantage of the boot grade thinsulate is that it doesn't compress as much so you can keep the minimum amount of air in the suit and still stay warm.
Mainly this is good in having the least amount of air in the suit helps in bouyancy control.

Loft is what makes insulation work. On the surface soft is generally good. In the water loft that does not compress easily just makes life easier.

Is it worth the price difference?
That is up to you.

I have hunting underwear! They are called RedHeads - I dont see any added buoyancy with them at all... I think I ordered them at Cabelas.com.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom