Undergarment question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I just bought my first drysuit, now I have to pick out undergarments. I dive in NC ocean water (low in the 60's) and local quarries (low 50's). I do not get cold very easily (lots of natural insulation).

I know not all undergarments "are created equal" but if you compare a 250 gram undergarment from one manufacturer, to the same weight of another material, are they comparable? Or is Brand x's thimnsulate at 250 twice a warm as bran y's fleece at 250?

Get on e-bay and type in drysuits. There is guy there, Ron, who sells a very nice warm 4 Way Stretch Antarctic Undergarment for $82 and $16 shipping. Very good quality and price. I picked up one last week and when I get over this summer cold, I can't wait to get out and dive it. I've heard from those who have one, that it keeps you warm from the 40s -60s water temp. Very fast shipping and great guy to deal with.

Get on e-bay and type in drysuits. There is guy there, Ron, who sells a very nice warm 4 Way Stretch Antarctic Undergarment for $82 and $16 shipping. Very good quality and price. I picked up one last week and when I get over this summer cold, I can't wait to get out and dive it. I've heard from those who have one, that it keeps you warm from the 40s -60s water temp. Very fast shipping and great guy to deal with.
I have seen those, the 4-way is probably a tad warm, I was thinking one of his other suits. He did email me back pretty quick, that was his advice, I was just curious if comapring underarment to undergarment is like comparing apples to apples or apples to oranges as far as the weight goes.

I've only ever used DUI undergarments, but I would guess fleece would be fleece would be fleece. The fancier stuff might be different.

BTW, I have a 150g fleece I wear in mid-40s water when its warm outside. I wear some long underwear beneath it. It's pretty versatile between 40-70* water (for me). 40* is the lowest limit though, I'll go with something heavier if it's cool enough on the surface.

Tom

I used mine this weekend. It will take ay least 30-35 lbs. to sink it, even with my 95LP steel tank I had on 20lbs of weight with my Pinnacle EVO2 dry suit, I was like cork on the surface. Should have brought more weight to the dive site. I will have to load my weight pockets on my Zeagle Ranger LTD in waist deep water, since the scuba unit will be way too heavy to walk around with this kind of weight in it. It should keep me warm though.

Where around Atlanta is the water that cold?

Tom

Back
Top Bottom