Undergarment - Moby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpete

Registered
Reaction score
I have about a dozen dives on my new drysuit - DUI 450. Up until last weekend, I had been diving in multiple layers of fleece and polypropelene long johns. I found a nice Thinsulite suit at a local dive shop in Monteray this weekend. I bought it and it fits perfect. It is a 400g suit like I've been looking for. Any comments on this brand (Moby)? It's cheaper than the DUI 400g suit I had been eying. I paid about $330 for it (plus two free tank fills). Diving in 53 degree water at Monastary this weekend, I didn't find it any warmer than the hodgepodge of fleece I had been wearing. But I didn't use long johns underneath the suit. I also am not diving with Argon yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm not that cold, I'm just not toasty warm either.

Thanks, Chris

cpete once bubbled...
I have about a dozen dives on my new drysuit - DUI 450. Up until last weekend, I had been diving in multiple layers of fleece and polypropelene long johns. I found a nice Thinsulite suit at a local dive shop in Monteray this weekend. I bought it and it fits perfect. It is a 400g suit like I've been looking for. Any comments on this brand (Moby)? It's cheaper than the DUI 400g suit I had been eying. I paid about $330 for it (plus two free tank fills). Diving in 53 degree water at Monastary this weekend, I didn't find it any warmer than the hodgepodge of fleece I had been wearing. But I didn't use long johns underneath the suit. I also am not diving with Argon yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm not that cold, I'm just not toasty warm either.

Thanks, Chris

I would say if it fits, you're fine. That said, can you reach your valves in this underwear?

I'll check it out next time I'm in it. It doesn't feel that constricting, but I didn't try that range of motion.

Chris

I have one and dive in Vancouver year round. I find that it is cut in such a way that it is a bit tight across the elbow and crotch when reaching valves. It stays warm even when it gets wet which is another plus. Make sure you try it on with your drysuit, crouch down completely and try to reach your valves.

... is a pretty solid company. I dive one of their drysuits, and am very happy with it. I've seen the undergarment you're talking about, and it looks pretty good. I doubt that it is quite as warm as DUI's 400 though. Should be half way between the 200 and 400 ... .
For cold water I recommend Weezle undergarments from England. Worth every penny, and they costs a few. :(
Down here in SoCal my $50 demo OS systems is enough during winter temps, in spring and early summer I use Zeagle fleece underwear.

Thanks for your comments.

I doubt that it is quite as warm as DUI's 400 though. Should be half way between the 200 and 400 ... .

Caveseeker,

I find that comment interesting. I would have thought all 400 count Thinsulite garments to be essentially the same insulation. But I suppose there can be other factors. Unfortunately I really don't have the opportunity to do any A/B comparisons.

I've also had the same comment about snugness of Moby Thinsulite suits from another dive buddy. So I'll have to check that out next time. In the two dives I did in the suit, I was pretty comfortable in that regard. It does fit me quite well.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom