Undercurrent--"Why Divers Die"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie59:
Let me clarify a point, the information posted earlier said that 55% of divers who died were obese. The rate of obesity in the general population (using the same criteria) is 33%. This would indicate that there are a disproportionate risk of death in obese divers. This could be magnified if we assume that divers have a lower overall rate of obesity than the general public.

Again, if you don't see the fire you should be able to see the smoke.

Another way, if one brand of regulators were found on 55% of dead divers but only 33% used that brand you would think twice about diving with that regulator (I would).

Your Darn Right. At least 90% of dead divers were wearing wetsuits. We MUST outlaw wetsuits NOW.
Won't someone think of the children.....

(Oh and for the record, the rate of wetsuits in the general public is around 1% or so. Hugely disproportionate)

Too much partying after the superbowl, huh cavediver. Your sharp ability to use logic is staggering, like you.

Okay, I'll type slower. What if 33% of autos were fords. Assuming that all cars are in wrecks equally, you find 55% of fatal accidents involved fords. Would you drive your child around in a ford. hmmmm.

Charlie59:
Too much partying after the superbowl, huh cavediver. Your sharp ability to use logic is staggering, like you.

Actually no. (GO COLTS!)

My analogy is very much correct. I choose 1 attribute common to a portion of dead divers, then compared it percentage wise to the total number of dead divers and then compared it to the general population.

Its the exact same thing you/article did with BMI.

Doesn't it hold the same validity? (I think it does, which is none)

Not really.

You chose a varible that is not likely to impact death while diving, wetsuits.

Due to the number of drownings and heart attacks causing deaths while diving, health is important for deaths.

I can honestly tell you that the vast majority of individuals with a BMI > 30 are not healthy weight lifters.

lets have a contest and see who dies first, that should settle it once and for all.

yikes, hope I don't jinx myself. Sometimes you just have to go with your best "gut" feeling. Watch me drop dead tomorrow, though. People will be belly laughing.

Just beware of the astronaut driving with diapers, they are dangerous. Kind of like dry suit divers.

Charlie59:
Okay, I'll type slower. What if 33% of autos were fords. Assuming that all cars are in wrecks equally, you find 55% of fatal accidents involved fords. Would you drive your child around in a ford. hmmmm.

One causal detail to add. What is the average speed of the wrecks for the Fords and the other brands. If the speed is differnet, IE Fords are more likely to be in high speed colisions because they are more likely to be driven at higher speeds, then your raw statistics are useless.

See how it works. Identify ALL causal factors and find relevance and importance for each one. If you can't get that, there is no hope. On the plus side, you can dive with the skinny divers who have zero skills and I'll dive with the Fatty's who know how to dive.

Nobody says obese=good. We just say obese does not equal death for scuba diving.

omg...clearly mental illness, sudden onset.
(the Astra-nut)

A brand new metal mallot? rubber tubing? ..not good for the home team.

Charlie59:
Just beware of the astronaut driving with diapers, they are dangerous.
You mean you never wore a diaper under your drysuit? Or saw the picture in aquaCorps?

Back
Top Bottom