Underarmour Cold Gear under 7mm??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

9supratt4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am going for my checkout dives a week from Saturday. The water in the quarry will obviously be cold since i'm in the NorthEast.

The dive shop I am with is giving us 7mm full suits, hoods and gloves. I was wondering if wearing Underarmour cold gear shirt and pants will help with thermal protection under the wetsuit.

Can't wait to be certified!!

You won't notice the difference from a warmth perspective. However, under armour is a great under layer in the sense it's slick and makes donning and doffing your suit easier.

You won't notice the difference from a warmth perspective. However, under armour is a great under layer in the sense it's slick and makes donning and doffing your suit easier.

Even if it's the cold gear type?? I figured it may work sort of the same way that the merino wool in wetsuits works.

Even if it's the cold gear type?? I figured it may work sort of the same way that the merino wool in wetsuits works.

Nope - not even if its the cold gear type.

Normal cold weather gear insulates by trapping a layer of air to insulate around you. In the water, the best you can do is allow none, or the very minimal water flow under your wetsuit. Any travel of water will take heat away with it and it will be replaced by fresh cold water.

If the suit doesn't fit well, then anything that fills the voids and limits water flow will help.

Enjoy.

What pearldiver said.
Wetsuit keeps you warm by restricting water movement of the thin layer of water your body just warmed up. Drysuit uses air. This is where underarmor can add to the thermal properties of thinsulate & polartec undergarments. Underarmor is not designed for inwater use (aka wet), in fact is will probably hold more cold water against your skin.
You may consider adding a polypropylene skin (thicker than lycra) which can add about 10% warmth factor to your wetsuit (and helps you slide into the wetsuit) or a hooded vest. The vest will add more warmth to your core.
If you invest well in exposure protection for your local environment, you will dive much more often because you are comfortable in the water.
Good luck on your dives!

What pearldiver said.
Wetsuit keeps you warm by restricting water movement of the thin layer of water your body just warmed up. Drysuit uses air. This is where underarmor can add to the thermal properties of thinsulate & polartec undergarments. Underarmor is not designed for inwater use (aka wet), in fact is will probably hold more cold water against your skin.
You may consider adding a polypropylene skin (thicker than lycra) which can add about 10% warmth factor to your wetsuit (and helps you slide into the wetsuit) or a hooded vest. The vest will add more warmth to your core.
If you invest well in exposure protection for your local environment, you will dive much more often because you are comfortable in the water.
Good luck on your dives!

Polypropylene skin?? Same as a Dive skin??

Polyolefin dive skin is a bit thicker than a lycra dive skin. Also known as microprene, hotskin, or 1mm wetsuit and a few other names. You can feel the difference in thickness and texture beween plain lycra (standard lycra/nylon rash guard fabric) and these thicker skins. Some folks use these thicker skins alone in warm tropical waters.

I'll second that...
On my open water dives I wore a long sleeved adidas shirt that is similar to Under Armour, and Under Armour compression shorts to make it easier to get the 7mm farmer johns on and it really helped a lot.
Don't think it did much to help with warmth though.

Polyolefin dive skin is a bit thicker than a lycra dive skin. Also known as microprene, hotskin, or 1mm wetsuit and a few other names. You can feel the difference in thickness and texture beween plain lycra (standard lycra/nylon rash guard fabric) and these thicker skins. Some folks use these thicker skins alone in warm tropical waters.

Thanks for the info!! I've been doing some research and have so far come across....Lycra (which gives no extra warmth), Polypropylene and Polyolefin. Do you know the difference bettwen the two different poly suits?? And which would be warmer??

All I know is that the thread itself is a spun synthetic fiber with a hollow core therefore it has an insulating factor that lycra does not. Scuba.com and scubatoys.com have several examples of each. Try on some at your local LDS's. These types of suits are more flexible and stock sizes seem to fit easier than the stock sizes of 7mm wetsuits.

After years in the tropics, I now dive in SoCal. I used to use a lycra skin to shimmy in & out of my 7mm suit but it added no warmth. I switched to a polyolefin skin and was surprised at the difference it made.

If you plan to dive in NJ just go for the drysuit from the beginning. Check out local dive sites and watch what exposure protection most local divers own/wear (other than newbie OW classes in rental gear).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom