Unacceptable Instructor Behaviors...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I "stole" this Pete and put it up on my FB page. I think one of the things I want to add is, I'm a bit quirky, so if something sounds wrong, while it isn't intended ever to be so, please, please, please, let me know, as something coming off the wrong way can be detrimental to the learning and fun that a student has. Safety, respect, fun are what its all about. None should ever be compromised.

The Chairman - I realize that you have no room for improvement, therefore no one would have to observe you. There are a few more that fall into that category.
Rly? I get peer reviewed all the time. Most of it good, but I'll be the first to admit that my best class will always be my next one. My classes evolve continually and I love it when I learn something new. Quite often, I'll share those learning experiences right here on SB. I have to admit that my notoriety causes me to be quite diligent in how I teach. People like you want to find a chink in my armor just so they can take a cheap shot like you just did. It doesn't matter what the motive is, I take each and every criticism personally with an eye to improving my craft. How else can I continue to grow?

Would you respond that the very high quality of American teachers shows that putting this much time, effort and money into the process shows that it works?

@boulderjohn I had to read this 3 times and I still may not understand what you are saying. I have seen many bad teachers in a couple of school systems near me since I substitute teach occasionally. I don't think the review process for teachers, the people who mold the youth of today, is stringent enough. This is kind of a hot button with me so we can take this offline if you would like. The bottom line is that people who shape the performance and safety of those in their charge are not held accountable for their actions or non-action. I know it is a fuzzy area and a "slippery slope", but people have to be responsible for what and who they teach.

Cheers

Rly? I get peer reviewed all the time. Most of it good, but I'll be the first to admit that my best class will always be my next one. My classes evolve continually and I love it when I learn something new. Quite often, I'll share those learning experiences right here on SB. I have to admit that my notoriety causes me to be quite diligent in how I teach. People like you want to find a chink in my armor just so they can take a cheap shot like you just did. It doesn't matter what the motive is, I take each and every criticism personally with an eye to improving my craft. How else can I continue to grow?

I apologize for the cheap shot at you. There are others in those sights. I don't know you nor have I ever seen you teach. I don't know if I have ever seen any of your students so I can't say if you are a good instructor or not. If you get peer reviewed all the time, then I'll bet you are the exception rather than the rule. I don't get the change in attitude because you said you don't like being reviewed in an earlier post. Rather instructors don't like getting reviewed. I think further discussion is great, but not in this thread. I hope I didn't hijack it. I didn't intend to.

Cheers -

The bottom line is that people who shape the performance and safety of those in their charge are not held accountable for their actions or non-action.
I learned a wonderful lesson from one of the owners of Fifth Gear in Jax, by the name of Eliot. I was managing a small auto parts store for them in Gainesville, and he would take me to breakfast from time to time and mentor me. Of all the things he told me, one really stood out: There are no bad mechanics, just bad managers. Wow. It took me a while to internalize that concept, but years later I believe it changed me from being a stupidvisor to a supervisor when I became a Service Manager for Goodyear Tire & Rubber. The first step was making myself accountable for my mechanics' mistakes. Their motivation, knowledge, attention to detail and so forth were all my responsibility. I found the best way to improve them was to improve me first. I've adopted that to my students: there are no bad students: only bad instructors. If I'm going to take credit for their successes, and what instructor doesn't, I'm going to take the blame for their failures as well. Every student learns a bit differently, so taking a one size fits all makes as much sense as trying to loosen a 17mm bolt with a 13mm wrench. I like my toolbox overfilled with options and I want to develop the skill to use every tool at the right time.

I don't get the change in attitude because you said you don't like being reviewed in an earlier post.
Actually, I said that instructors as a general rule don't. Sry for the confusion. I love any and all feedback. I continually ask my students what they liked, what they didn't like (my horrible puns are a runaway fav here) and how they think I could improve their learning experience.

I learned a wonderful lesson from one of the owners of Fifth Gear in Jax, by the name of Eliot. I was managing a small auto parts store for them in Gainesville, and he would take me to breakfast from time to time and mentor me. Of all the things he told me, one really stood out: There are no bad mechanics, just bad managers. Wow. It took me a while to internalize that concept, but years later I believe it changed me from being a stupidvisor to a supervisor when I became a Service Manager for Goodyear Tire & Rubber. The first step was making myself accountable for my mechanics' mistakes. Their motivation, knowledge, attention to detail and so forth were all my responsibility. I found the best way to improve them was to improve me first. I've adopted that to my students: there are no bad students: only bad instructors. If I'm going to take credit for their successes, and what instructor doesn't, I'm going to take the blame for their failures as well. Every student learns a bit differently, so taking a one size fits all makes as much sense as trying to loosen a 17mm bolt with a 13mm wrench. I like my toolbox overfilled with options and I want to develop the skill to use every tool at the right time.
Pete, if I may call you Pete since we've never met, you are the exception rather than the rule. I thinkx in your heart of hearts, you know that. There are more like you, but there are a ton of instructors out there that passed their IE but aren't instructors. IMHO. Edit: except by certification only.
Cheers -

Any advice I give is always free of charge and guaranteed to be worth every penny too! :D :D :D
I stole your definition for the acronym Boyle’s, breath or your lungs explode s___!

I learned a wonderful lesson from one of the owners of Fifth Gear in Jax, by the name of Eliot. I was managing a small auto parts store for them in Gainesville, and he would take me to breakfast from time to time and mentor me. Of all the things he told me, one really stood out: There are no bad mechanics, just bad managers.
It's a good approach to management but the reality of it is that, as good of a manager as you may be, there actually are bad "mechanics" who are just not interested in becoming better regardless of how much you work with them to improve. I've seen a few in my 32 years in engineering - luckily, it's been an exception - and they were eventually shown the door!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom