Unacceptable Instructor Behaviors...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No doubt, as Pete and others have stated, patience (and other attributes of personality, ability to motivate, etc) are huge parts of teaching anything. As well, it does take school teachers some "on the job" experience to develop all that (despite all the time and qualifications John points out). Well at least for many teachers, including myself decades ago. You have to make it fun, interesting. Teaching Band is similar to scuba in that you get a head start as these activities are usually voluntary, and students (for the most part, but DEFINITLEY not always) want to be there--unlike Math, English, etc.). Doesn't mean it's a piece of cake though. And some just never get it and go on to something else.

Too bad there isn't a method to test for patience, much less a tried and true way to instill it. Example is the only way I know and that's anything but certain. When I was a religious sort, I knew two things. Never pray for patience or humility. God has a sense of humor and you're probably not going to appreciate it. If it takes a felon to commit a felony then God must be an iron. :D :D :D

I just went diving with an instructor and 2 people who had not dived in years (and were asking questions that reflected this). During the dive briefing I heard an equipment leak, but different than I was used to hearing. It turns out, one of the divers had their regs serviced but not their BC, and the inflator was leaking into the BC. It was completely full by the end of the briefing. I mentioned it, and was told I should have let it go, because “it was such a small leak”, and “it could have gotten in her head” but we’re “lucky he had an extra BC”.

A very small leak from an o-ring is one thing (although I personally don’t let that go). A rusty diver with a self-inflating BC on a 100 ft dive is something very different, IMO.

A rusty diver with a self-inflating BC on a 100 ft dive is something very different, IMO.
I would agree. Glad you caught it. The inflator is the most neglected piece of equipment in Scuba. Most don't get attention until they fail.

I just went diving with an instructor and 2 people who had not dived in years (and were asking questions that reflected this). During the dive briefing I heard an equipment leak, but different than I was used to hearing. It turns out, one of the divers had their regs serviced but not their BC, and the inflator was leaking into the BC. It was completely full by the end of the briefing. I mentioned it, and was told I should have let it go, because “it was such a small leak”, and “it could have gotten in her head” but we’re “lucky he had an extra BC”.

A very small leak from an o-ring is one thing (although I personally don’t let that go). A rusty diver with a self-inflating BC on a 100 ft dive is something very different, IMO.
For me the rusty diver going to 100ft rings some alarm bells never mind that diver doing it with poor equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom