Ultrasound First Stage Cleaning Enquires - helpsss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kissdom

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All, I have a first stage that has internal corrosion (was accidentally flooded before) and external corrosion, its minor but I can see that the corrosion has started and it has the potential to get a lot worst.

I recently showed it to a dive service man, he said he can do a full overhual, ultrasound cleaning and also part change to remove the all corrosion and the affected corroded parts. I have no doubt that can be done and I will most probably get back a first stage that looks like brand new.

Since the corrosion has already started on the inside and outside of the first stage, and I assumed it had broke through the first stage's coating, my question is, will the corrosion still occur in the future if I were to go for the full servicing and ultrasound cleaning? With the consideration that from now on the first stage will be properly maintain (no more flooding), rinse and soak (hot water) after every dive.

I was afraid that nothing will change and the first stage will immediately begin its corroding process right after all this servicing and it will just be a waste of $$..

As long as your tech does a good job it's really not a big deal. Even with the internal coating (chrome usually) gone, the parts are still marine grade brass with is pretty corrosion resistant to start with and for corrosion to form it requires moisture. Since scuba air is very dry, as long as you do your part to keep moisture out of the reg, more corrosion can not form since there is no water for the metal to react with. The damaged internal coating is really not a concern, just do your part to keep it dry inside.

Here's two picture of the corrosion, its actually all over the external surface of the first stage, looks like it already broke through the coating.. so under the coating is also marine grade material? and it shouldn't further corrode with proper handling after the ultrasound cleaning?

IMG_4185.jpg
IMG_4188.jpg

It's an Apeks, one of the most durable regs made......keep diving it and maybe get it serviced in another 5 years.

Here's two picture of the corrosion, its actually all over the external surface of the first stage, looks like it already broke through the coating.. so under the coating is also marine grade material? and it shouldn't further corrode with proper handling after the ultrasound cleaning?

View attachment 187807
View attachment 187808

What corrosion?? I'd call that a reg with character, not corrosion :wink:. I don't consider it "corroded" unless it looks like a very old piece of cheese, all green and fuzzy.

Seriously, as already mentioned I probably would not bother with that, or maybe put a little white vinegar in a Q-tip, dab the offending spots, leave it for a bit, then wash the spots with lots of water and a tooth brush.... really, I'd probably just leave it.

Best wishes.

LOL, I like how you make it sound, "character" oh yea, the very old cheese all green and fuzzy is what I am afraid my first stage would become.. but from what has been discussed, looks like my apeks first stage is still good for diving even with the internal corrosion (green colored too) visible from all the port holes..

What corrosion?? I'd call that a reg with character, not corrosion :wink:. I don't consider it "corroded" unless it looks like a very old piece of cheese, all green and fuzzy.

Seriously, as already mentioned I probably would not bother with that, or maybe put a little white vinegar in a Q-tip, dab the offending spots, leave it for a bit, then wash the spots with lots of water and a tooth brush.... really, I'd probably just leave it.

Best wishes.

---------- Post added June 30th, 2014 at 09:39 PM ----------

Great eyes fishEYE, being able to tell its an apeks from those two pics.. I was worried of its condition deteriorating more, as the external surface is still in constant contact with Sea Water.

It's an Apeks, one of the most durable regs made......keep diving it and maybe get it serviced in another 5 years.

LOL, I like how you make it sound, "character" oh yea, the very old cheese all green and fuzzy is what I am afraid my first stage would become.. but from what has been discussed, looks like my apeks first stage is still good for diving even with the internal corrosion (green colored too) visible from all the port holes..

If you can see green inside the port(s) then by all means DO have it serviced. External corrosion (and I agree with the rest, yours is very minor) is not a big issue, but intenal corrosion can cause reg failure and must be delt with. Like I said earlier, the damage caused by the corrosion in and of itself is not a big deal if properly cleaned out but the problems it can cause if not removed can be serious. Not dissambling the reg and cleaning it out can lead to the parts binding up and/or corrosion flakes coming loose and causing a failure. External corrosion is a cosmetic issue, internal corrosion is a safety issue, get that reg serviced.

I wouldn't be worried about anything I saw in those photos. It looks like a bit of salt water dried on the outside of the reg. It doesn't spread like rust on a car, you'd need more long-term exposure to salt water (like leaving salt water on the reg to dry) for it to get worse. But of course nobody can see the internal parts of the reg that were flooded in these photos.

Just soak your reg in clean fresh water after diving, and make sure the dust cap is on tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom