Ultrasonic cleaner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ubiquitous 3L made-in-China cheapies offered by Harbor Freight, ebay, Amazon, etc., work well enough, but if you have the patience, wait for a used but well cared-for dental model to show up on ebay. These are high quality, more powerful units from manufacturers such as Crest and L&R ("Quantrex"). The ScubaTools unit you mention is Crest.

I am a certified repair tech with about ten years experience. Have been working at a dive shop and now want to work from home, with my bosses blessing.

My question: need a good ultrasonic cleaner that doesn’t cost an arm and leg. Yes, I know Scuba tools sells them but they are $800. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Larry

I'd go the cheaper route, for a couple of reasons -- obviously, for the less-painful purchase price; and you're also going to be hard-pressed to find anyone who services them, should that ever become necessary, whether they be cheap or expensive models. A tech friend of minw, who is familiar with them, mentioned that both the electronics and transducers, in most of them, regardless of the price, are now absolute crap, and often supplied by the same vendor.

Years back, we had a couple of the pricier ones -- those that could seemingly rattle your teeth from a meter away -- and when we made inquiries about some valve repairs, were told that it wasn't even worth the effort -- "planned obsolescence," was mentioned; and that they would even have to be shipped, at considerable cost, out of state.

I currently have a VEVOR 6 Liter Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner -- about US 100.00 nowadays -- which has been heavily used for about five years, without missing a beat.

When it eventually craps out, it will simply become a tomato planter . . .

I'd go the cheaper route, for a couple of reasons -- obviously, for the less-painful purchase price; and you're also going to be hard-pressed to find anyone who services them, should that ever become necessary, whether they be cheap or expensive models. A tech friend of minw, who is familiar with them, mentioned that both the electronics and transducers, in most of them, regardless of the price, are now absolute crap, and often supplied by the same vendor.

Years back, we had a couple of the pricier ones -- those that could seemingly rattle your teeth from a meter away -- and when we made inquiries about some valve repairs, were told that it wasn't even worth the effort -- "planned obsolescence," was mentioned; and that they would even have to be shipped, at considerable cost, out of state.

I currently have a VEVOR 6 Liter Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner -- about US 100.00 nowadays -- which has been heavily used for about five years, without missing a beat.

Thank you

Not sure if there is a convenient Harbor Freight in Kauai, but if there is, look there. Another place to look would be a local gun shop. Ultra sonic cleaners are often used to clean spent brass in reloading. A third option would be amazon.

Thank you

The ubiquitous 3L made-in-China cheapies offered by Harbor Freight, ebay, Amazon, etc., work well enough, but if you have the patience, wait for a used but well cared-for dental model to show up on ebay. These are high quality, more powerful units from manufacturers such as Crest and L&R ("Quantrex"). The ScubaTools unit you mention is Crest.

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

What did end up buying?
I have gone back to a basic [turn the knob] manual model, only 3L, but does the job.
The digital model went to the ultrasonic grave yard, it was OK, but [as they do] died.
20211024_072115.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom