Ultralight arms or similar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
junkyard_dawg

junkyard_dawg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm just getting into underwater photography and wanted to go ahead and grab some arms for a light or strobe.

I know Ultralight is the name brand arm mfg. But I see alot of other mfgs....more so than the ULCS. What is the best place to order/configure the arms? backscatter seems to carry a good bit of arms is that the best bet?

I guess trial and error on length of arms and if you need floats?

Thanks

Should've mentioned....this is for a compact with tray so nothing extreme yet. I'm working my way up.

I have a set of the Ultralight arms and while expensive, for me, they are worth it. I got mine direct from Ultralight at Beneath the Sea. I'm not seeing any dealers in the Atlanta area. I have bought from backscatter and they are good to work with. You can also call them and get their advice on what to start with.
That said, I have also used Adorama and B&H Photo in New York since 1979 and both carry underwater camera strobe arms. I would not hesitate to buy from them if you know what you need. You can call them yes, but unlike backscatter, you may not get an underwater photographer on the phone.
Land photography? Except for the pro's I know who are actual photojournalists or like my UW photo instructor who has been on assignment for Nat Geo, Discovery, and others, I would call Adorama or B&H every time.
I will give you my limited advice based on what I received, get at least two sections for each strobe. And if you think you need 6 inch arms, get 8s or 9s. Much more flexibility and positioning options. I've got (2) 12s on each side for my SL1 DSLR in the Ikelite housing.

Many of the "alternative" cheap arms and clamps found on Amazon and eBay are just that, cheap. You need to decide if you need float arms. Some of the CF float arms on Amazon are actually decent.

Call Backscatter. They will provide good advice and their prices are competitive.. I've personally used the same set of ultralight arms and clamps for over 20 years without a problem.

Some trial and error, but you can narrow it down before you start ordering. What size camera? Constant light, or strobe? One light source, or two? If you're starting out with a small camera, say, a TG6, then you might want to use a single strobe, like the Backscatter MF1, since the camera has a narrow field of view. And you might want to consider a Locline flexible arm rather than Ultralight or similar arms. But if you're starting out with a larger camera and a wide or fisheye lens, you'd want to consider a rig that can put the lights well out to the sides so you can light a wider area. Whatever you do, though, you'll likely want some floatation, but well-chosen; too much and you have to hold it down (and it zooms up if you let go); too little and you have to hold it up, which is tiring. I use yoga block sections to adjust weighting, fwiw.

I have a set of the Ultralight arms and while expensive, for me, they are worth it. I got mine direct from Ultralight at Beneath the Sea. I'm not seeing any dealers in the Atlanta area. I have bought from backscatter and they are good to work with. You can also call them and get their advice on what to start with.
That said, I have also used Adorama and B&H Photo in New York since 1979 and both carry underwater camera strobe arms. I would not hesitate to buy from them if you know what you need. You can call them yes, but unlike backscatter, you may not get an underwater photographer on the phone.
Land photography? Except for the pro's I know who are actual photojournalists or like my UW photo instructor who has been on assignment for Nat Geo, Discovery, and others, I would call Adorama or B&H every time.
I will give you my limited advice based on what I received, get at least two sections for each strobe. And if you think you need 6 inch arms, get 8s or 9s. Much more flexibility and positioning options. I've got (2) 12s on each side for my SL1 DSLR in the Ikelite housing.
Thank you for the information!

think I'll give Backscatter a shout this week and see what they think would be a good setup.

Call Backscatter. They will provide good advice and their prices are competitive.. I've personally used the same set of ultralight arms and clamps for over 20 years without a problem.
That is what I will do. Thank you!

Didn't really want to get locline.....nothing wrong with it but longevity wise I think the arms are better.

Many of the "alternative" cheap arms and clamps found on Amazon and eBay are just that, cheap. You need to decide if you need float arms. Some of the CF float arms on Amazon are actually decent.

Thanks!

That's exactly what I was wondering if they were "as good" or "close"
Most of the time spending more for the real deal is worth it in the long run.

I'm just getting into underwater photography and wanted to go ahead and grab some arms for a light or strobe.

I know Ultralight is the name brand arm mfg. But I see alot of other mfgs....more so than the ULCS. What is the best place to order/configure the arms? backscatter seems to carry a good bit of arms is that the best bet?

Thanks

Should've mentioned....this is for a compact with tray so nothing extreme yet. I'm working my way up.
Buy ULCS arms with 8"+12" segments for each strobe. Add floats if needed. Longer arms give you more potential for creative and effective lighting. You may want to move up to 12"+16" segments eventually.

Some trial and error, but you can narrow it down before you start ordering. What size camera? Constant light, or strobe? One light source, or two? If you're starting out with a small camera, say, a TG6, then you might want to use a single strobe, like the Backscatter MF1, since the camera has a narrow field of view. And you might want to consider a Locline flexible arm rather than Ultralight or similar arms. But if you're starting out with a larger camera and a wide or fisheye lens, you'd want to consider a rig that can put the lights well out to the sides so you can light a wider area. Whatever you do, though, you'll likely want some floatation, but well-chosen; too much and you have to hold it down (and it zooms up if you let go); too little and you have to hold it up, which is tiring. I use yoga block sections to adjust weighting, fwiw.
It is a TG6 but I'm hoping that it's going to get me into a bigger rig later if I can figure this one out, so I'll probably go with the Ultralight over the Locline just so I don't have to spend it twice. I've looked at it and I've used it at work and it seems durable and very versatile

Good suggestion on the yoga blocks.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom