UltraFire Cree XR-E dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 3x AA primary cells really put me off this light. but some may prefer it that way. I doubt it will supply full brightness for long though. And definitely 2.5 hours unless using lithium primarys.

The Cree P4 LED has 2 more efficient siblings, the Q5 and R2. Pity it does not use these instead.

It could make a good host to modify. Use 3 AA sized LI Ion rechargeables, Q5 or R2 LED and upgraded driver to suit.

The 3x AA primary cells really put me off this light. but some may prefer it that way. I doubt it will supply full brightness for long though. And definitely 2.5 hours unless using lithium primarys.

The Cree P4 LED has 2 more efficient siblings, the Q5 and R2. Pity it does not use these instead.

It could make a good host to modify. Use 3 AA sized LI Ion rechargeables, Q5 or R2 LED and upgraded driver to suit.

Yeah but by the time you're buying this for $40+shipping plus a $20 LED, it hardly seems worth it ;-). If this was $30 I'd buy it in a minute. At $40, I think I'm waiting to see if someone's tried it first.

I'm courious, is that light fully made of aluminium? If so, I'd take one and change the LED to Cree XR-E R2 (got couple recently from DX) with driving it up to 750 mA. But in this case the light itself should serve as a goog heat sink.
As for 3 AA batteries, it's better to use alcaline 1.5V to povide at least 1V excess of supplying voltage to that chinese driver.

PS: don't use Li-ion or any other accumulators in a back-up light :no:. Usual disposable battaries only :crafty:

Last edited:
I also don't like that it cannot use rechargeable batteries. I also disagree that you should not use rechargeable batteries in a backup light. The new hybrid NiMH are very dependable, and by charging before diving you're assured of a full charge.

Adam

Why not?
Li Ion cells have a very very low self discharge rate.
The latest Eneloop NiMh cells also have a low self discharge rate.

I should point out neither of these are suitable for this light.

I don't like rechargeable Ni-Mg or whatever chemistry accumulators in backup light just because I want to keep it as simple as possible. One can easily forget to charge it before trip or dive...

I strongly do not recommend Li-Ion accumulators for backup light. First of all, one must use protected Li-ion cell, although it's quite expencive - could be more expensive then the light itself. But usually people tend to buy cheap cells like TrustFire form DX, which I consider suicide kit for cave of wreck diver. Anyway, if one uses even highly durable and expencive Li-Ion cells, its protection circuit couldn't be more durable then merely contacts of disposable battaries.
The downside of all other rechargeble accumulators I mentioned earlier also applies here.

I found out that this light does not contain LED driver - directly drived LED. I'm staring like it. The simplier backup light, the better. Of course, it will shorten the life of the LED, but who cares?

So, I still would like somebody who got this light to share his/her opinion if the LED's heat is well dissipated though the light's body.

Last edited:
From the pictures it looks identical to the Tilly Tec W30 (300 lumen 3xAAs)...although I assume its not in fact the same given the 162 Euro price tag on the Tilly Tec W30...

upon closer inspection ok maybe not identical but pretty close.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom