UltraFire Cree XR-E dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What Cree light are you referring too? The W200 Ulta fire?

Its a shame to hear it.

I took mine to 57 meters (180feet) last weekend with no issues.

I should point out that I have modified it extensively. 2 x Li Ion batteries, R2 LED, driver (it does not have a driver as standard) Aspheric lens. Although none of this effects its water tightness.

Yes it was the same cree light. Looks like the front O ring leaked. Did the R2 mod fit in the head without being modifid. Would like to try and salvage it. Does the front lens just set in the O rings. Do you have pics of your modifations. Thanks

Sorry to be so pedantic but its a ultrafire light using a Cree LED.
The upgrade required alot of modifications. Most required the use of a lathe.

But if you simply wanted to swap to a R2 LED its easy enough with just a soldering iron.

Does your light still work? Since there is not electronic in the light you may find a change of batteries will get it going. If not clean up the electrical connections with fine sandpaper. The LED may be ruined so its a good excuse to upgrade to R2.

The lens seals against the a thin O ring. The larger O ring visible at the front simply holds the lens in place. The design works very well for external pressure but will leak with internal pressure.

Anyway I would suggest unscrewing head and pulling out LED module. Put it back together and depth test it again. While the LED module is out change the LED if required.

Took a few new W200's apart yesterday and found only half of them had 3 Orings sealing the lens while the rest had 2.

The O rings are...
One that sits at the front and holds the lens in place. I doubt this actully seals it at all.
One that sits around the base of the lens
And the thirt that isnt present in all W200's sits behind the lens and probably does the most sealing although my 1st modded W200s dont have this (yet ) and have not leaked.

Took a few new W200's apart yesterday and found only half of them had 3 Orings sealing the lens while the rest had 2.

The O rings are...
One that sits at the front and holds the lens in place. I doubt this actully seals it at all.
One that sits around the base of the lens
And the thirt that isnt present in all W200's sits behind the lens and probably does the most sealing although my 1st modded W200s dont have this (yet ) and have not leaked.

Hello Horse,
What is your opinion of the AE Lifelight 30
LED Flashlights - LED Flashlight - AE PowerLight - AE Xenide - Flashlights - Police Tactical Flashlights - HID Flashlights - AE Light

I was considering using it with Ni-MH AA batteries, which I have tons of, and could swap after each dive.

Adam

Hello Horse,

Please, call me Packie. :)

What is your opinion of the AE Lifelight 30
LED Flashlights - LED Flashlight - AE PowerLight - AE Xenide - Flashlights - Police Tactical Flashlights - HID Flashlights - AE Light

I was considering using it with Ni-MH AA batteries, which I have tons of, and could swap after each dive.

Adam

Never seen one so I cant really comment. But the W200 is a copy of it.

I dont think it will run so well on NiMh cells due to their lower voltage. It depends on what type of driver it has if any. The W200 does not have a driver.

I would also be a bit dubious of its claimed lumen output and run times.
It claims 300 lumen output from a Q5. Q5's are not rated that high and if they were you would still lose some by the time it exited the light. My moded W200's I sell use Cree R2 LEDs which are 7% brighter than Q5's when driven at the same current.
The AE30 would slowly start to dimm as soon as you turn it on. It may infact be brighter than the modded W200 at the very start. It will then slowly dim down to nothing and may very well put out light for 6-10 hours (just not much) where as my moded W200's run at full brightness for about 4 hours (depending on battery capacity) then shut off with no warning. Each have advantaged and disadvantages depending on how you intend to use it.

There is also the Tilly Tec W30 light which I think is re badged and sold as the AE30

Please, call me Packie. :)

Never seen one so I cant really comment. But the W200 is a copy of it.

I dont think it will run so well on NiMh cells due to their lower voltage. It depends on what type of driver it has if any. The W200 does not have a driver.

I would also be a bit dubious of its claimed lumen output and run times.
It claims 300 lumen output from a Q5. Q5's are not rated that high and if they were you would still lose some by the time it exited the light. My moded W200's I sell use Cree R2 LEDs which are 7% brighter than Q5's when driven at the same current.
The AE30 would slowly start to dimm as soon as you turn it on. It may infact be brighter than the modded W200 at the very start. It will then slowly dim down to nothing and may very well put out light for 6-10 hours (just not much) where as my moded W200's run at full brightness for about 4 hours (depending on battery capacity) then shut off with no warning. Each have advantaged and disadvantages depending on how you intend to use it.

There is also the Tilly Tec W30 light which I think is re badged and sold as the AE30

Where can one buy your moded W200's ?

Back
Top Bottom