Ultra lightweight and fast fin recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can frog-kick with barefeet. I think what jlovold was intending to illustrate was that certain fins function best in certain ways.

Split-fins are optimal for flutter kick...and produce good straight-line speed at good efficiency. They do, however, offer less maneuoverability than stiffer, shorter bladed designs. However, there are very few occasions when a recreational diver needs high straight-line speed....as other have posted....setting a slower diving pace will bring a multitude of benefits.

Jet Fins offer great 'brute force' and also good dexterity in the water....at the cost of muscle power. They are popular with cave and wreck divers, as they are inherently well suited to use with the frog kick, modified flutter kick and back kick....which are preferable methods of finning when silt is a hazard.

Force Fins have less 'brute power' than Jet Fins, but require significantly less effort to achieve good momentum. They also offer great dexterity and work well with alternative finning styles. I find the frog and modified flutter very easy with my Force Fins, but the back kick took longer to perfect in them.

Force Fins are, however, my choice of fin, because I value control and dexterity over raw speed....and my worn out knees and ankles appreciate the easier ride....in addition to the improved air consumption.

Back
Top Bottom