Ultra lightweight and fast fin recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice job answering the OP's question, guys...

I second the Tusa Expert Zoom full foots. It's what I take when I travel light. I used to have the Imprex open heels- the Zooms are much more efficient. I wear a 2mm sock to make them comfortable, as I have a narrow foot.

I'll leave the judgement on your diving style to all the other "experts".

Nice job answering the OP's question, guys...

I'll leave the judgement on your diving style to all the other "experts".

Yes! it's shamefull the way they are making suggestions that would probably enhance her diving experience exponentially.

Yes! it's shamefull the way they are making suggestions that would probably enhance her diving experience exponentially.

Yes, we'll have none of that!

Besides, everyone knows that the internet is intended to always be 100% "on point" at all times!

:D

The cheapest way of improving both your velocity and your air-consumption would be to improve your technique and trim.

If you can have perfect horizontal trim, your frontal area will be greatly reduced, thus decreasing drag. If you also make sure your hoses are out of the way (especially the spg/console) you should be able to increase your speed quite a bit, while not increasing your efforts.

You also say your ankles and knees bother you... Maybe you should change your finning technique to frog-kicking? It wont give you extra speed, but it is better on knees and ankles, and give better control. Frog kicks is only practical with "paddle"-style fins and with certain styles of force-fins.

I am looking for recommendations for really lightweight and quick style fins for a female. I am an australian size 8/US 38-40. I have an issue with weak ankles and knee problems at times. My partner has tusa imprex which seem good but wondering if anyone else has tried anything new and possibly better? Thanks:wink:

I used to have APS Mantarays which are light, fast, and soft on the knees. They work really well with a flutter kick, but frog kick is ok as well. Having a fin which allows you to alternate kicking styles might be better for your articulations. They're obviously not as precise/powerful as traditional paddle fins, but are a decent compromise (and were much softer on the knees than my OMS slipstreams).

Force fins seem to have their followers as well - but I never tried those.

Now that the fin question is out of the way, I agree with other posters about just asking your partner to slow down. You might also want to compare trims/streamlining - it's amazing how fast a streamlined diver can appear if you're trying to catch up swimming at a 45' angle :D (not saying it is the case, but I've seen it happen).

I'm not sure you need new fins, but maybe a leash?? Fins are one of those things where it is all personal choice and how they feel on YOUR feet. My only advice is to try out many and then pick.

I've found Forcefins to be the least effort and provide efficient speed. Whilst powerful, the Scubapro Jetfins/OMS Slipstreams require a lot of muscle power in comparison.

However, as other posters have mentioned, there really is not any situation where speed is a desirable asset on a dive. You burn your air quicker and you will miss seeing the interesting stuff.

If your dive buddy is too fast for you, then they are being a bad buddy. Ask them to slow down...let them follow you. If they can't manage to do that....then find a new buddy.

Really?

You learn so much from the interwebz.

Yes really!

You can "frog-kick" with splits, but you would struggle to swim backwards and doing helicopter-turns.

BTW, what do you do for a living? I'm a commercial diver, and I still learn new stuff from the "interwebz"... You just need to figure out who is worth listening to...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom