Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! I didn't know that Max was a world-renowned author! How cool is that?

SmartRings are only $108? Last I heard they were not available outside of a stock option on a SANTI suit... And very pricey at that.

That information is wrong on both counts!

Good info. :)

Reactions: Zef
Wow! I didn't know that Max was a world-renowned author! How cool is that?

SmartRings are only $108? Last I heard they were not available outside of a stock option on a SANTI suit... And very pricey at that.

That information is wrong on both counts!

Good info. :)

We may be talking about different things. Santi's names for the components of their system are a little confusing. Smart SEALS are the thing you have to get put on the Santi suit as an option by Santi when you buy it (or I guess sending it back). I'm not sure if that can be done by DRIS or not, mine was installed at the factory. The Smart SEALS are what lets you swap out wrist seals, and you can use any generic brand wrist seal, latex or silicone. I can't remember how much the option was. That must be the expensive thing? I looked back through my paperwork for the DS and I don't have that option invoiced separately.

Santi MAGIC Rings are a glove system Santi came out with that I don't know much about. They have multiple options like pull over gloves, mounting gloves, etc, and I am not sure if you need a wrist system already to use them. I think they are for any brand of drysuit. Anyway I linked 2 videos but neither one is all that great. There used to be a video with a Santi guy explaining everything in English but I can't find it now. This is $111 at DRIS actually. I thought it would be more since it's so many different thingys. I guess you have to get this if you don't have Smart Seals?

Smart Gloves are the mounting system for "any" dry gloves that you can buy, that you must use with the Santi Smart Seals. I bought that and I think I paid $125, but now they are listed at $108. I haven't asked to check stock, though, and I haven't heard back from Kasia about whether they will sell just the glove mounting side. You can install Smart Gloves yourself, provided you have the Smart Seals already.

We may be talking about different things. Santi's names for the components of their system are a little confusing. Smart SEALS are the thing you have to get put on the Santi suit as an option by Santi when you buy it (or I guess sending it back). I'm not sure if that can be done by DRIS or not, mine was installed at the factory. The Smart SEALS are what lets you swap out wrist seals, and you can use any generic brand wrist seal, latex or silicone. I can't remember how much the option was. That must be the expensive thing? I looked back through my paperwork for the DS and I don't have that option invoiced separately.

A retrofit cost me $300. It was done at Santi USA in High Springs, FL where they share space with Halcyon.

FINALLY got a pair of the FE Xerotherm gloves tonight. The small size had been on backorder. Just in time - opening day at the quarry is tomorrow. Surface water temp is 44F.

Looking forward to your review!

In latex gloves they might be a bit chilly.

In 720s they'll rock.

Looking forward to your review!

In latex gloves they might be a bit chilly.

In 720s they'll rock.

I can deal with slightly chilly hands. Before I got the drygloves with the new Fusion, I dove wet with 3mm gloves in these water temps. I’m crazy like that (and wanted dexterity). :D

We just got back into Port Hardy after two weeks at God's Pocket. The water was 46° and I had cold hands for the first few days. I tried wearing DUI liners over my Xerotherms but was still cold. Last weekend, I bought some wool liners and wore those over the Xeotherms and felt much better. We were making three to four dives per day and I couldn't have made it without wearing two pairs of glove liners in my 720s.

I get it! I have to WORK in those temps sometimes, and it's always a tradeoff warmth vs. dexterity.

I find 720s and the Xerotherms are about as good on both fronts as I can get... But even if you have to use latex gloves, being dry with the Xerotherms is worlds apart from a 3mm wet glove.

You're gonna be pretty darn happy.

Reactions: Zef
We just got back into Port Hardy after two weeks at God's Pocket. The water was 46° and I had cold hands for the first few days. I tried wearing DUI liners over my Xerotherms but was still cold. Last weekend, I bought some wool liners and wore those over the Xeotherms and felt much better. We were making three to four dives per day and I couldn't have made it without wearing two pairs of glove liners in my 720s.

Wow... TWO undergloves AND the 720s? That's wild! Did you have a problem with bulk?

Back
Top Bottom