Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol... Yep... And the reason why we're trying to figure out the cleverest way of loading 720s on the rings.

Waterproof gives very few hints as to what is the best way to install a linered glove like the 660 and 720, but we here on this thread seem to have found two good ways. I'm going to buy a few clamps right now and I'll post a video if it works out for me with that method. Up to now, I've just wrestled them until I won. :) Usually it takes two people, and is easier if I first attach the ring to the suit and we both wrestle it from there. Anything would be better, so here's to hoping the clamp works. :)

Waterproof sells plain, unlined, latex gloves that get installed exactly as you did... O-ring on top. The company does not sell a 660 or 720... But the instructions show that they can be installed "o-ring hidden" style... Just not how to do it. :)

For what it's worth... Wrestling the 720s is easier than wrestling the 660s... Because the nitrile 720s are softer, stretchier, and more flexible than the 660s. Chalk another win of the 720 over the 660!

They're not as stretchy as a plain latex glove, but they're loads better than the 660s... And won't "pop" like a latex glove will.

As I threatened before, I have a tool idea, but need to machine (lathe) some delrin to make a slider. Just haven't had the time yet. It would fit onto the mounting ring, and be slightly cone-shaped. You've no-doubt seen these before - it's how production houses that install o-rings push them onto various things. Watch a few "How it's made' videos, and you'll see some. Anyway, once the o-ring is inside the glove, and the glove end is tucked inside, you would put the unit onto this slider (cone) and push it down over the mounting ring. Sort-of the same idea as the wooden tool shown above in this thread but the delrin is machined to exactly match the mounting ring diameter, making it easier to slip over it and onto the ring. then, just pull the cone out. To make the thing lighter (cuz delrin is heavy), I'd machine it out hollow, but enough material to be robust.

Still, the cone would have to come out from the open end, so I'm not sure that the diameters will work. Need to play with a design!!! i think if the cone diameter was almost, but not quite as large as the ring, it might work.

Hm... I sense a great thing being born!

Years ago, someone that owned a set of Dving Concepts rings - the predecessor to the Ultima Dryglove Ring system (and what Maxbo5tomtime has) - developed this tool:

Unfortunately, he no longer makes the tool... So I made my own. Problem was... The tool I made was slightly SMALLER in diameter than the Ultimas, even at full extension... Meaning that I simply dropped the gloves between the tool and the ring when I went to roll it on.

I suspect that the Ultimas are slightly larger than the old Diving Concepts rings.

I'll try the clamps tonight and post my results.

Last edited:
Hm... I sense a great thing being born!

Years ago, someone that owned a set of Dving Concepts rings - the predecessor to the Ultima Dryglove Ring system (and what Maxbo5tomtime has) - developed this tool:

Unfortunately, he no longer makes the tool... So I made my own. Problem was... The tool I made was slightly SMALLER in diameter than the Ultimas, even at full extension... Meaning that I simply dropped the gloves between the tool and the ring when I went to roll it on.

I suspect that the Ultimas are slightly larger than the old Diving Concepts rings.

I'll try the clams tonight and post my results.

Yes - great video to show the idea. Similar in concept. As you said, your problem is the tool diameter. That is key - big enough to push the o-ring/glove combo over the ring, but then be able to pull it out.

Makes me think of another idea! I need to get to the dollar store!

I had one of the tools back in the day, it was way too difficult. I can't believe you guys haven't made mine yet, it takes nothing to build. And works in seconds. Heck, I'll even make another video for you if you want.

Yes please! Do it! Let's see what you got!

I just received Merry's Ultima rings. The lip on the glove ring is too big for the cheap clamp. Each time I got the glove halfway on the clamp would slip off. I had to have Merry hold the glove in place instead. I stretched the new O-rings first but they're pretty stiff. I think I will make a wooden jig like the one earlier in this thread.

So the clamp I showed earlier... Will it work?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom