Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...So when I mounted the SHOWA 3416s on my backup set of Waterproof rings, I decided to give something a try... I shortened the wrists of the gloves. That is... I placed the rings much further into the glove than I ever have before. Based on how drygloves have been fitting me lately, I think it'll be a good thing to have a slightly shorter glove.

One thing I can tell you about mounting: Things go a LOT easier when you lube the heck out of the black o-ring. if you haven't been lubing the black o-ring prior to mounting, I can totally understand why people have so much difficulty mounting gloves to rings.

Anyway - so now that my gloves are shorter, I had A LOT of glove inside the ring. I decided to trim it, which is something I've never done before.

It was quite entertaining... It was mad difficult to push a razor blade though the glove fabric... And took a very sharp set of scissors and a lot of time to cut the extra off of the glove. Yeah man... These things are tough!

Anyway... 3416s mounted short and then trimmed:

View attachment 574455

View attachment 574456

View attachment 574457

View attachment 574458

View attachment 574459

I'm planning to cut the insides down some. I was thinking of using a hot knife and pulling the glove tight to cut through. I tried a pair of scissors but they were crap. The hot knife I used for cutting down webbing it was amazingly easy.

I think I can hold the ring and pull the glove tight with one hand. Doesn't have to look perfect, just be put of the way.

Need to get a few dives with the gloves to make sure they're not leaking first, hope to dive this weekend....

I use an exacto knife.

I used a fresh razor blade on a utility knife. It wasn't impossible, but it was really hard to cut the 3416s with it... Which gave me a practical feel for how tough the 3416s really are. It was impressive.

I can't see an Exacto knife being real effective at cutting them.

I eventually gave up, as it seemed a little dangerous to do. I had to apply a lot of pressure to cut the gloves, and with my fingers in there and all that pressure, one slip could be catastrophic for my fingers.

A strong set of stainless steel kitchen shears worked for me... But it seems like the hot knife might do well too.

Reactions: Zef
I used a fresh razor blade on a utility knife. It wasn't impossible, but it was really hard to cut the 3416s with it... Which gave me a practical feel for how tough the 3416s really are. It was impressive.

I can't see an Exacto knife being real effective at cutting them.

I eventually gave up, as it seemed a little dangerous to do. I had to apply a lot of pressure to cut the gloves, and with my fingers in there and all that pressure, one slip could be catastrophic for my fingers.

A strong set of stainless steel kitchen shears worked for me... But it seems like the hot knife might do well too.

A hot knife has the potential to burn but cuts through anything like butter, so no real pressure needed. If I dive this weekend and don't have leaks I'll cut and take some pictures.

I just fold the cuff inwards into the ring/glove....it stays out of the way of the o-ring and the cuff side ring without issue.

I am interested to know if when it is cut with a hot knife if it leaves a hard edge that may be irritating to the hand/wrist.

Perhaps folding it the cuff upwards and then tacking it with some fabric glue or a few dots of aquaseal will keep it tucked up out of the way.

cutting the glove will remove the bit one needs to grab to straighten the glove should one need to unmount and remount the glove on the ring for any reason.

-Z

I just fold the cuff inwards into the ring/glove....it stays out of the way of the o-ring and the cuff side ring without issue.

I am interested to know if when it is cut with a hot knife if it leaves a hard edge that may be irritating to the hand/wrist.

Perhaps folding it the cuff upwards and then tacking it with some fabric glue or a few dots of aquaseal will keep it tucked up out of the way.

cutting the glove will remove the bit one needs to grab to straighten the glove should one need to unmount and remount the glove on the ring for any reason.

-Z

I didn't think about it being irritating, but you could be right. Gluing out of the way would be another option. I can see mine getting in the way of the seal periodically. Just one more thing to have to watch out for, but I might be overthinking things.

The irritation you would get assumes that I will diving in water warm enough to not have a liner....which just isn't true, lol.:D

I am currently using the Grey HD Gloves that come from Santi (Wonder who makes those) Would you say the 3416s are similar? For the 720s, are people sizing up vs the "Smurf" Glove?

Hey ericfine50!

Unfortunately, I have not dived the SANTI HD gloves... So I don't really know what they are. They're going to be something rebadged with the SANTI logo. I have heard that they are butyl rubber, just thick... But they look strikingly similar to the SHOWA 660 ESD, which would mean that they are PVC and actually just a black version of blue smurf gloves.

The 660 ESD is listed here in my chart, along with generic butyl and latex gloves (which are what SANTI uses as their standard-duty gloves). Check the protection numbers and see for yourself.

gloves.jpg

In short, no, the 3416 is not the same as a SANTI HD glove, assuming that the SANTI HD glove is either a SHOWA 660 ESD or a butyl or latex glove. The 3416 is warmer, stretchier, and MUCH tougher, especially as it pertains to cut resistance and puncture resistance.

The 720s are also unique, and are going to be thinner, warmer, stretchier, and tougher even though they give more tactile feel and function than a SANTI HD glove.

...But you don't have to take my word for it. Here's a link to my company account with our supplier: http://store.divepro.org. Use this to log in:

User: pro@divepro.org
Pass: hulldivers

Once in, click the "Quick List" option in the menu to see the gloves available. I think 720s are available for less than $4 a pair.

I recommend 720s for most diving. They're a better, tougher, warmer, more dexterous glove than what SANTI - or anyone else - sells. Switch to the 3416 if you want something even tougher. I use them for hardcore commercial work, including cutting, welding, chainsawing, and hull cleaning.

I’ve been using the 3415, not as tough as the 3416 but a nice not blue general use glove that takes a few less days to get on the rings :)

The 660ESD is also a nice not blue glove but they don’t come big enough for me to use with my thicker liners.

I had a slice at the fingertip of one of my 3416s last month. I didn't notice when it happened, but my hand was wet. I jumped in for a second dive and felt water going in right away so I switched back to my Ansell AlphaTec 58-735s. I'll wait before ordering any more 3416s, as I have more dry gloves than I could use in a lifetime now.

Back
Top Bottom