UK: Man dies after rapid ascent from 60metres dive off Salcombe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Salcombe is a town in the South Hams district of Devon, south west England.

From: Man dies after rapid ascent from 60metres dive off Salcombe
A 65-year-old diver rescued by a Royal Navy warship after getting into difficulty off Salcombe has died. HMS St Albans rescued the man after he is believed to have ascended too quicky from 60metres.

The man wa flown to hospital in Dorchester after the rescue on Saturday, but was decalred dead on arrival.

HMS St Albans responded to a mayday from the man's dive boat.

Additional information as been seen on the news...

From: Veteran diver Roger Dadds dies while exploring German U-boat wreck | Mail Online
An 'inspirational' veteran diver has died after getting into difficulty during a deep dive near the wreck of a World War Two German U-boat.

Roger Dadds had completed more than 4,000 dives at home and abroad but disaster struck off the coast of South Devon on Saturday.

Coastguards were told that Mr Dadds had 'shot back up like cork' and had reached the surface 'feet first' and unconscious.
German U Boat

Roger Dadds died after diving near the wreck of a German U-boat off the coast of Salcombe, Devon

The father-of-two was pronounced dead at hospital despite attempts to save him by fellow divers and medical treatment on board a Navy warship.

British Sub-Aqua Club (BS-AC) trip to dive the wreck of U-boat U1063, which was sunk six miles south of Salcombe in April 1945.

The 66-year-old, from Plymouth, was among five others taking part in a trip with the British Sub-Aqua Club to dive near wreck of U-boat U1063, which was sunk six miles south of Salcombe in April 1945.

Mark Prior, who was also on the dive to explore the wreck of a German U-boat, off Salcombe, said Mr Dadds was 'a real diver's diver, a legend in his own dive time'.

He said: 'Hundreds of divers have benefited from Roger's unique story-telling talents and self-deprecating humour.

'He helped and inspired many of his colleagues to become better divers. Everyone who met him, liked him.'

Mr Prior, assistant diving officer at the Plymouth Sound club, said Mr Dadds had abandoned the dive after a few minutes but, still underwater, he was unaware of the seriousness of the situation.

When he surfaced, Mr Dadds was rescued by colleagues aboard the dive boat who immediately alerted Brixham Coastguards.

The emergency call, made at around 1pm on Saturday, was heard by the frigate HMS St Albans which also responded.
Salcombe, Devon, England

The dive was focused on the wreck of a German U-boat which sits on the sea bed six miles off the coast of Salcombe, Devon

A spokesman for Brixham coastguards said: 'HMS St Albans, which was in the area, heard the broadcast and responded straight away.'

'They used the helicopter on board the vessel to locate the dive boat and then launched their fast boat. They recovered the casualty back to the St Albans where they continued to treat him.'

The coastguard helicopter landed on the Portsmouth-based Type 23 frigate, and then flew Mr Dadds to the accident and emergency department at Dorchester Hospital.

He never regained consciousness and was pronounced dead by hospital doctors.

continued at link above...

Wonder what caused the cork-like & feet first ascent??....

Wonder what caused the cork-like & feet first ascent??....
That could happen all too easily to a novice dry suit diver, but I doubt that would apply here. Lots to wonder about there. Even a stuck suit inflator would seem to be viewed as simply an inconvenience to such a veteran.

That could happen all too easily to a novice dry suit diver, but I doubt that would apply here. Lots to wonder about there. Even a stuck suit inflator would seem to be viewed as simply an inconvenience to such a veteran.

Thanks, DandyDon.

I always find it humbling to read of incidents involving very experienced divers - such incidents, while tragic, remind me and other novice divers that ANYONE can get into trouble and that diving poses serious risks which are not to be taken lightly. It is a pleasure to reach diving milestones, but it is just as important to get back down to reality quickly.

On a similar note, SB is a great reality-check. Just when you get 25 dives, you realize that there are many, many posters with 50-100 dives. When you get 50 dives, you realize that there are many divers with 100-200 dives. And then there are the regulars with 500-5000+ dives. Keeps you humble. Keeps you thinking that you still have a lot to learn.

I am wondering if it is possible he was (as a veteran diver) using a BC with a CO2 cartridge which malfunctioned. It is not likely, but possible.

EDIT: It is actually not possible, as a poster pointed out at that depth a CO2 cartridge would not provide enough lift.

Last edited:
A health related problem at depth is a good possibility I would think.

I don't think we have enough info to even speculate. Guessing maybe but what good is that?
On a similar note, SB is a great reality-check. Just when you get 25 dives, you realize that there are many, many posters with 50-100 dives. When you get 50 dives, you realize that there are many divers with 100-200 dives. And then there are the regulars with 500-5000+ dives. Keeps you humble. Keeps you thinking that you still have a lot to learn.
Oh yeah, there many with hundreds and some with thousands, plus the years dived can mean a lot for what some have been thru. I was on a boat in the Florida Keys once with a guy who dived a horse collar rig, tank strapped to ply board - really, carried his camera and stuff in a bucket cut from a 2.5 gallon trans fluid jug. Gawd was he good. I wish I'd spent more time talking to him after rather than going to Key West for the sunset, which would have been easy since he lost his keys. Now I wish I had stayed to help him find them, or get some made but he was gone a few hours later when we went back by.

There are two, related aspects I've seen in these threads where real veterans are lost - but they had the experience to call those as they saw them. For you and me, these two remind me of the basics we were taught in OW, some details of which many have only done once to pass...
Complacency: I am not suggesting that this applies in this sad loss, but it has in many - and I caught myself falling for it very early really, still do. Stick to the basic details first and foremost for us tho.

Buddy protocol: Buddies descend together - none of this meet you on the bottom caca you see at times, dive the plan or similar together - as dive plans deviate some, ascend together - none of this you go ahead I have air left stuff, leave the water together, and stay together until all risk of problems have passed - an hour or more, and while it is great to be self sufficient - a good buddy makes sure the other is ok at every step.​
I don't know if he had one or not, none mentioned, he was qualified to call it as he saw it - but buddy diving is still safer no matter how popular solo diving becomes. I like to think I can trust my pony more than I can most buddies I have, and dang it I can, but still - I keep going back to that so I can be a better buddy at least.

I am wondering if it is possible he was (as a veteran diver) using a BC with a CO2 cartridge which malfunctioned. It is not likely, but possible.
How much lift do you think a 12-gram CO2 cartridge supplies at 60 meters? (Less than a kilo.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom