Virginia diver dies from rapid ascent in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freedc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Tragic loss. According to this press notice a 63-year old man from Virginia passed away from decompression illness after a rapid ascent from what was "believed a malfunction in diving equipment." If anyone was there, please share info so we can learn more from this terrible accident.

The article mis-spelled his name. It was Brent Gordon. I dove with him once. Very sad and scary.

American man dies after rapid ascent

So sad. I hope they kept all equipment as found so the authorities can figure out what went wrong.

I have no specific knowledge of this accident but in general terms, a rapid/panic ascent is more likely to cause embolism than DCS (because the panicked diver - let alone one out of air - is likely holding their breath). Likewise, an embolism is more likely to end up as a fatality than a bends hit would be.

- Ken

Ken Kurtis is right. The OP correctly wrote DCI, but the press mistakenly wrote DCS. DCI is the more all-encompassing term. I try to remember that the one with "S" is more "Specific".

source: The Scuba Expert Let's Get Wet: The Difference Between DCS and DCI
There is an overall term called Decompression Illness (DCI) which most divers get confused and call decompression sickness (DCS), the same. No it is not the same. DCI is the over all term that has 2 subjects below it: 1) DCS and 2) Lung Over expansion Injuries.

DCS refers to the conditions caused by inert nitrogen gas coming out of solution within the body. Lung Over expansion Injuries refer to those injuries that are caused by holding your breath on ascent.

There are basically 2 types of DCS: Type I deal with skin and pain only which would include the sub type a) Cutaneous DCS and b) Joint and limb pain DCS. While Type II covers the more life-threatening which are the c) neurological DCS and d) Pulmonary DCS.
...There are four type of Lung Overexpansion Injuries...

Last edited:
The OP correctly wrote DCI, but the press mistakenly wrote DCS. DCI is the more all-encompassing term. I try to remember that the one with "S" is more "Specific".

Great memory trick but I wish, especially when discussing this (generally) on a lay level, people would just say "bends" or "embolism". Easier for the average diver to understand and in that same diver's general vernacular, as opposed to the differences between DCI and DCS, let alone variations between I and II (and the not-so-often seen III).

- Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom