Uk Expat Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Over the years, we in California have been visited by numerous UK divers. Some come here on vacation. Others are UK expats working here for a number of years, then they return home to the UK. Others still have taken up residence here, although they never quite lose their beautiful English accents.

I have had several opportunities to dive with these UK folks here in California.

These UK divers are highly skilled, great divers.

They are calm under all circumstances.

They are fun to dive with and even more fun to listen to. They joke with us, that our waters here in California (42 to 54^F ~ 6 to 12^C) are not really "cold" because for "really cold" you really must indeed visit northern Scotland and dive there!

I have learned about the rich traditions of scuba diving in the English speaking world, which is a language empire comprising the UK, America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc. that is not bounded by national borders, but a united common folk, with common values, that all harkens from centuries past and from Merry Olde England itself. Never would have thought that ... .

Maybe someday I will have to try out the diving in northern Scotland and see for myself what cold diving really is!

I dunno, I've seen good, bad and indifferent divers from all countries and agencies over the years, the difference really comes between the 'resort' type divers and the regular divers.
I think you've been 'had' over the temperatures in N Scotland, it may be a long way N, but we've a little thing called the Gulf stream which warms our seas up further than the latitude would suggest - I'm at the very north bit, and its currently around 11-12 deg, by Feb it'll be about 5deg in open sea, and anywhere between 2 and 4 in the sheltered voes where there is more freshwater.
If you're ever in our area, you're welcome to join us

I concur, most scottish waters tend to be a bit warmer than places like the channel and the north sea, although at the right time they can get pretty warm too, scottish lochs and lakes however, can get pretty cool :)

:frosty: Dunno about it being cold up in Scotland. I do know that the diving is great!

DeepTechScuba, I'm sure that if you ever do decide to visit Scotland, you will have no difficulty in finding buddies for some of the nicest diving you will ever experience.

:)

6-14C water temp is about the average range over the year on the west coast of Scotland in the Clyde estuary. I've recorded 3C and 17C but they were rare. Vis is 3 to 4m when its good. :D

Coincidentally, I just went up to Scotland diving in the Sound of Mull on the west side. This was great diving and challenging, where I really had to think about what I was doing.

I do have to agree with the first post in that as a group, the divers on the trip were more skilled than any group of divers I've dove with, probably because of the conditions they dive in: current, low viz, deeper wrecks, cold, etc.

Also, they were all just a great bunch of people to dive with. It was a great weekend.

Tony

Hey, DTS - nice post! I live in Scotland but have only just started to dive here. The other weekend when I was diving in Oban, water was a pleasant 14 degrees. Am doing my Rescue Course in a couple of weeks so I'll report back then! I feel I need to do that course for Scottish waters. Once I've done that, I plan to do a trip to Orkney.

You shoudl come visit and see for yourself!!

Hi Tony I guess you went out with my friends on the Peregrine.
I have always found the current strong in the Sound of Mull. Good vis and wreck diving though so I'm going out on the next trip.
My mate PeterK on yorkshire divers is organising a couple of boats for another long weekend out of Loch Aline next month give him a call if your interested.

Peter was my dive buddy on that trip! When you talk to him, tell him to have a tequila shot on me.

Tony

I am usually getting wet in the PNW and had the opportunity to dive in Oban in March.. Good dive.. Similiar to the Puget Sound but it required a MUCH longer boat trip.. And when you're in a RIB it gets chilly! I was warmer in the water (which wasn't that warm) than I was on the trip out and back..

Alex

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom