Drysuit Diving in UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biczmusic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello UK Divers!
I'm planning to explore some of the UK waters and will be diving in a drysuit.
Here in Germany there are requirement to have 2 first stages in cold water (using drysuit) and I was wondering if in UK is the same?
I'm trying to cut down on weight whilst traveling and taking just one first stage would be my preferable option, but don't want you arrive at the site and be refuse diving having insufficient gear.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards from Berlin
Marcin

There are no requirements for 2 first stages here. In fact you would find it pretty hard to rent a single cylinder with duel valves.

Happy to reccomend places to dive if it helps.

There are no requirements for 2 first stages here. In fact you would find it pretty hard to rent a single cylinder with duel valves.

Happy to reccomend places to dive if it helps.
Thank you, and yes - I'd love any suggestions where to go. Ill be 3 weeks in Scotland beginning of October, then back down south.

Thank you, and yes - I'd love any suggestions where to go. Ill be 3 weeks in Scotland beginning of October, then back down south.
I live down south, so can give more input there. Obviously if you can dive in Scapa when you're in Scotland that's amazing! Then moving south the Clyde and Eyemouth are great places to dive. On the south coast Portland and Plymouth have a lot to offer for both historic wrecks and reefs.

Was there anything in particular you wanted to see?

Just back from Scotland. I have been there with my wife (she doesn't dive) travelling around and shore diving when I found a nice spot.
First of all, the spots for filling tanks or hiring equipment are very scarce. And I would suggest you make appointments beforehand. I contacted 6 operators one week before I was going to be in Scapa flow and no one could help me. Fortunately, I travell with all equipment including two twinsets, so I just need air fillings for shore diving.

I used the book "Top 100 British Shore Dives " by Anita Sherwood as a guide and I really liked the dives I found in there. But a disclaimer, I'm used to do shore dives in unknown places in low temperaturs, lots of current and bad viz, looking up slack times where necessary and my navigational skills are above average. Most of the dives however, were not that difficult. Viz was 4-5 meter.

First, I did a stop ad St Abbs. Friendly operator, but weather was not suitable. I did one dive on the way back. Difficult shore acces, but a nice dive. You can do wreck dives with Dive stAbbs for example.

Portskerra was also nice, but no air fills in a 200 miles radius on the mainland. I took a ferry to the Orkneys where I did a shore dive on one of the block ships at the Churchill barriers. Filled at the Red Shed Shop in Stromness. Payed 8 pounds for a double 7l. Maybe they rent equipment as well. I didn't ask of course.

On the way back I did Strome castle (amazing underwater life) and Loch Creran and surroundings, filled at Puffin dive centre in Oban. Very well equipped, nice shop and a self service filling station, 5 pounds for a filling. I liked it.
I didn't visit Hebridean dive services, but that is to my knowledge one of the only shops in the north.

If you have more questions, please ask.

I live down south, so can give more input there. Obviously if you can dive in Scapa when you're in Scotland that's amazing! Then moving south the Clyde and Eyemouth are great places to dive. On the south coast Portland and Plymouth have a lot to offer for both historic wrecks and reefs.

Was there anything in particular you wanted to see?
No, nothing in particular. Just wanted to see how it is in UK. As I'm working here a lot I decided to try and dive too. Thank you for those suggestions - I'll check as much as I can. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom