UK Cyl tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FatRob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok not too familiar with the old regulations for CE marked cylinders over here.
In the US (where I learned to dive) I was used to annual VIP's and 5 Yearly Hydro's,
What's the deal here in the UK (Now that I have returned home),
How often and how much should it cost me?
Who can do it? Does it need to be a scuba shop or do industrial gas houses do it too?
Does anyone know the regulations regarding obtaining other gasses e.g. breathing O2 / Argon etc.

Cheers for the info
Rob

Ok not too familiar with the old regulations for CE marked cylinders over here.
In the US (where I learned to dive) I was used to annual VIP's and 5 Yearly Hydro's,
What's the deal here in the UK (Now that I have returned home),
How often and how much should it cost me?
Who can do it? Does it need to be a scuba shop or do industrial gas houses do it too?
Does anyone know the regulations regarding obtaining other gasses e.g. breathing O2 / Argon etc.

Cheers for the info
Rob

Visual every 2.5 years, hydro every 5;

Cylinder Test Periods - BSAC

Don't even think about trying to get a US spec cylinder tested - only old BS, HOT or HOAL cylinders or modern CE marked can be tested in the UK. US imperial valves will not fit modern UK and European metric-threaded cylinders or older UK imperial-threaded cylinders.

Testing has to be done by an industrial gas cylinder testing station that is UKAS accredited or an IDEST accredited dive shop.

A hydro will set you back Ž£25-Ž£30 in a UKAS test centre - maybe a little more than that in in an IDEST dive shop. There are still unscrupulous dive shops, who used to test cylinders under the older regime, who are still offering 'tests' but these are worthless.

Oxygen cleaning for nitrox is non-statutory; the UK scuba trade association specifies a 15 month interval but many shops are still using 12 months.

Gas suppliers are awkward. Although there are no regulations governing who can buy gas, Air Products, BOC and Air Liquide will not supply diving grade helium or oxygen to individuals, citing 'health and safety'. They will only supply 'bona fide clubs' and businesses who have the appropriate blending certificates. Many home blenders simply use welding grades instead. Argon is available to anyone.

HTH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom