UK 4AA eLED "Plus"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sucnip

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have any experience with this new torch? I've got the regular Q40 mini and the eLed upgrade module. The Q40 is great for a daytime torch, but the eLED is terrible during the day. I use it mainly for gearing up at night.

dp

Bit of an old post I know, but I haven't seen any other discussion after a quick search. I have both a standard eLED mini Q40 and a new Q40 plus. Here's the lowdown, as I see it. I don't sell either light, as I'm not in that line of work, nor do I have any connection with UK.

First, the plus has a longer light head, rather like an SL6. The body itself is the same, making the light a tad longer overall, a difference of about 1cm. Overall, the difference in weight is negligible.

The new light head has a thick domed lens on it, it is difficult to see a bulb at all through the lens. The standard light head had a side emitting LED clearly visible, with a shallow reflector dish around it. Same single O-ring (I'd love you to go to double O-rings, UK)

The Q40 plus is noticeably brighter, at least to my eyes, using standard Duracells. I think it is listed as a 2 watt light, vs. 1 watt, but am open to correction. As comparing the emitted photons to our perception of brightness is tricky, that doesn't necessarily translate to "twice as bright" but I will say I was surprised at how much difference I noticed. Qualitatively, I'd say there is now a more well defined beam of light.

The cost of course is a slightly higher price, and shorter battery life. What's I've read on-line suggests 2-3 hours of full brightness with the 2w vs the 8 hours or so with the 1w. I do not have timed comparisons of my own.

Having dived at night at times using only my 1w Q40, I'm pretty happy with it, and the beam was tighter than I expected underwater. Seeing the new Q40 plus, I will probably use this as my new backup dive light, and relegate the older light to my earthquake kit, where the longer battery life will be more useful.

Have you ever seen a dugong? I just saw a manatee for the first time last week! Hence my upgraded signature line!

Back
Top Bottom