Uhoh?? compressor issue..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I am a fool/moron for fixing something myself....lol...nice...I realize the valve needs replaced...and it will be...It will go in for a complete service..but I need air for the weekend and I am in a remote location to any service area for these or LDS fills... I also am well aware of safe breathing gas..which is why I washed out all my lines(x2), as well as ran the compressor out before and after the washes..and did a pair of filtration changes.

Really didn't think I would have to explain I washed out/cleaned the system...lol..

"You proceed from a false assumption: I have no ego to bruise."

The AC will probably remove WD40 residue. That said, I would not want to be a guinea pig here. Seriously, beware beware beware of lightheadedness and narcosis at >1ATA.

I would have fixed/cleaned the stuck valve by hand, found another source of gas, or skipped the dive. That's the risk you take with remote diving sans a backup compressor/source of gas - but means you definately live to dive another day.

I am curious where "ignorance" falls in.. Yep...I used wd40 in the compressor head and valve..that head and valve, while off, was also washed and rinsed(in clean non soapy water to clarify)in hot soapy water to rid it of any contaminants..particles...what have you...I decided to do the lines while I had the machine stripped down....I changed out the filtration twice before filling my cylinders...I also took the filtration housing apart and washed it (as I do when I do my regular filter changes)

What did I miss?

If you cleaned the valve and head seperated from the comp. you missed nothing!
Some like to beat thier own drum loud, others just listen, and some just make noise!
See you topside! John

I am curious where "ignorance" falls in.. Yep...I used wd40 in the compressor head and valve..that head and valve, while off, was also washed and rinsed(in clean non soapy water to clarify)in hot soapy water to rid it of any contaminants..particles...what have you...I decided to do the lines while I had the machine stripped down....I changed out the filtration twice before filling my cylinders...I also took the filtration housing apart and washed it (as I do when I do my regular filter changes)

What did I miss?

Not a bad field repair. I would have done the same thing. I was puzzled at first by all this. In an hour you went from somebody who couldn't find his azz with both hands to a pretty decent mechanic. I see that a buddy offered some advice and that seemed to get things going. Well done but replace those valves ASAP.

Pesc...you are right..I knew nothing of the compressor, nor how it worked..but, after buddy explained how the 3 stages worked, and why the problem had to be where it was..it was simple. I was confused by a few explanations and was mistaking the relief for stages..thinking the stages were an external component. I am a mechanic by trade..small engines.. (one of my jobs)..so with a quick explanation..the taking apart, cleaning and putting back together was a piece of cake...this is sometimes the problem with written vs. verbal or hands on explanations..

The cleaning of the system just made sense...I use hot soapy water for cleaning all my cylinder heads that I have machined, and as well, understand it is what some people use for 02 cleaning their gear, so once again, it made perfect sense..

I just didn't know I was on trial for "clean air" when I didn't know how the stages of the compressor worked...so...the quick reply to let people know that was the problem seemed fine to me..Some are too quick to assume..Name calling? lol...meh..if it makes people feel good about themselves..whatever..I have pretty thick skin..

The compressor will hit a shop as soon as I find one that deals with them..as well, I will be ordering the parts breakdown and repair manual..something I should have already done..

Thanks again to everyone for the constructive help.

Sounds like your are a "good enough" (my words)mechanic, you just need to replace the valve and test the air quality after your done! Most quality tests need to be done outside, meaning an indepent test facility. For the safety of yourself!
See you topside! John

Scubadoo72,

Please except my apology for my comments. There was no excuse. Might I suggest that as a first means of cleaning use CRC Heavy Duty Degreaser, Grainger part number 1D265. The primary solvent is Trichloroethylene, which will evaporate, taking lubricants with it, while not leaving a residue. This is a product we use for O2 cleaning.

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom