Uhoh?? compressor issue..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you sure the filter isn't blocked? One of my shop monkeys changed the compressor filter one day and forgot to pull one of the orange caps off the filter. Compressor got really hot, melted the filter and OPV was popping, etc.

DM

That doesn't mean it's not somehow plugged. The issue started immediately after changing the media. The first place I would look is the last thing I messed with. In this case, the filter.

That doesn't mean it's not somehow plugged. The issue started immediately after changing the media. The first place I would look is the last thing I messed with. In this case, the filter.

Good point. Although I can't understand why the 2nd stage would pop and not the third if the filter were 'plugged' somehow.

If the 2nd is popping would it reduce the pressure in the 3rd to the point that it's wouldn't go?

I wasn't there when ours had problems but I saw the aftermath, Really dirty oil, melted filter and a couple tanks full of nasty smelling air.

DM

If the 2nd is popping would it reduce the pressure in the 3rd to the point that it's wouldn't go?

I wasn't there when ours had problems but I saw the aftermath, Really dirty oil, melted filter and a couple tanks full of nasty smelling air.

DM

That is a possibility. If the 3rd stage inlet valve is a bit worn and its the "weakest" link and hence leaking back into the 2nd stage enough to blow the 2nd stage OPV without building anymore pressure.

Definately worth examining the filter/chamber for something amiss. Good catch.

Alrighty...Good for go again.

Rjack, that was my first thought as well...thought maybe I somehow packed the filter wrong...but nope..all was good there.

A two minute theory lesson by a buddy on how these things work, and as was mentioned here..it led to the 3rd stage..some wrenches and an allen key...some wd 40 and another air compressor to blow things out..and we have a working 3rd stage again. Air pressure is building properly...compressor head temps back to normal..

Cleanup..and back to filling cylinders..

Thanks for all the input guys!

edited for stupidity on my part.

Craig

Last edited:
Yep..morons are....and posting...lol..of course I washed out the system, and ran a bunch of air through the filtration...then changed it out again..

*shaking head*

Back
Top Bottom