UGH Rain!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What do you think the effect of rain will be on our GREAT viz and diving lately this weekend? I think it's only supposed to rain until wed.

Depends on how much it rains..... If its just a little not to bad. If it comes down in buckets I guess it will be stay out of the water. Dove last year after a heavy rain and viz was still good........

Rain may not be your only worry....I checked the swell model and it looks like we're going to get hit hard. I'm seeing green on there (6+ feet)....that is certainly not a color I like to see!

Looks like I picked a good weekend to be out of town :wink:

It depends on how much rain we get and where you are going. I'm not a fan of shore diving for at least a week after the first storm of the season. Too many nasties flowing down all the storm drains.

But if you are going to Catalina, it should not matter much unless we have a really big storm.

The Colombians that I befriended and hosted me and my group in Colombia are coming tonight. They will be diving Monterey Thurs and friday (I'm joining on friday) and then we'll be going down to SD for the wrecks on Sat and Sun. Dive sites in both areas are relatively close to shore but still a ways out. I usually don't dive after rain for a week or so but this will only be a few days after. I hope that swell gets killed!

Once again I will post for all to read and heed...

With the passing of the seasons first good rain event it is appropriate to remind everyone to think about the hazards that could be encountered during a dive.

Early runoff from streets and storm drains will carry oils, pesticides and other contaminates into the creeks, rivers terminating in the ocean.

As the rainy season becomes mature agricultural runoff, fecal material and high levels of bacterial contamination can be expected.

If you MUST dive it is suggested

* A week be allowed after the OK for ocean to purge it's self of near shore and off shore contaminates

* Avoid diving in the near shore waters near the creeks and streams emptying into the ocean

* After a questionable dive always wash with soap and water as soon as possible.

* Immediately rise the inner ear canal with appropriate anti- bacterial solution

* Make a concerted effort not to ingest any water you have been diving in or have made contact.

* Routinely check any cuts and scrapes for redness and swelling that may indicate infection. If persists suggest seeking medical assistance.

* Monitor long term coughs and irritated throats which are often a result of contaminated water diving.

Enjoy but be careful after a big rain that produces excessive run off..remember it is not the local runoff but that run off with it's origin many miles inland...in Riverside county and points inland that brings the bad stuff to the ocean

Great post Sam. I will mention that the runoff I see today just from the light rain we have gotten is a very dark black/brown from all the oils and petroleum coatings on the streets and parking lots. There will also be a lot of particulate (ash etc) from the fires washing down to the shore as well. If we get a good dumping, it could be very ugly.

Swells are also listed at 5-6ft dead west, lowering to 3-4ft for Sat & Sun. Inside of Cat may be OK, but the west facing beaches might be a bit rough.

A little dirty water diving never hurt anyone. :)
vdElgUHgICCZym594g-1.jpg

Okay, I was asking about visibility and dive conditions because I have friends from Colombia coming up to dive. The dives are scheduled and happening so there's nothing much we can do about water quality but I was just curious if people think the viz will get horrible. Conditions were so great the last few weeks! I just want them to have a good time. Most of the dives will be off boats a few miles off coast. Just wanted to know what kind of viz you think we'd expect. How far out does that swell report go?

That dirt water picture is kind of awesome... and intriguing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom