ubuntu: who uses it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used Ubuntu extensively since it's inception; and prior to that was stuck on other distributions. I am not a sys-admin, but my job has me working in linux every minute of every day.

I keep trying the newer-releases of suse and fedora, but they just aren't as solid as ubuntu.

By the way, has anyone tried Chrome on Linux, it is must faster than firefox, especially on Linux.

I use Chrome on Ubuntu and it is faster than anything else I have tried. I like being able to type my search in the url window too.

I use Ubuntu Server.

All of my desktops and laptops are Windows 7. I have never found a single significant advantage of using Linux on the desktop, and, to the contrary, an endless stream of serious downsides.

I use Ubuntu on my little webbook. It seems more stable (and faster).

I use Ubuntu Server.

All of my desktops and laptops are Windows 7. I have never found a single significant advantage of using Linux on the desktop, and, to the contrary, an endless stream of serious downsides.
No viruses?

You're not going to game on it, so productivity will increase.

Never had a virus, actually.

And last I checked the standard Ubuntu install came with more time-wasting games than Windows :wink:

I have been ruunning Kubuntu on my netbook for a few months, had windows 7 but only 1Gb of ram made that worthless. the Kubuntu version makes it roll along very nicely :)

Ubuntu 10.04 running on my dell laptop now, dual booting with windows 7 for the required crap.

At home: XP on my desktop. Used for gaming and general computer usage. Mac Book Pro for a laptop. Gateway tablet PC with the Tablet version of Win XP on the old laptop.

At work:
General use box (internet, IDE, chat, various tools, etc) is Ubuntu. My development web and database server is FreeBSD 8.

Our production servers are running FreeBSD 8. We used to have Slackware on them (/shudder).

For work I'm primarily a programmer but we are a small enough group that I also do server and network administration stuff from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom