Uber Approved in Quintana Roo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dunno; different country, different culture, mega-urban vs nowhere near that...? One size does not necessarily fit all. I think Uber coming to Cozumel has a good chance of doing more harm than good, but that's just my opinion. Time will tell. I don't plan on helping it happen, though.
I think the cultures are very similar between the 3 places.

I see a lot of talk about this sort of thing in here, but it almost never has happened to me. Maybe I just look to the taxistas like someone who is not to be trifled with.
And you use the same drivers a lot.

Two years ago my husband and I were walking on Calle 10, about 1/2 block away from Melgar. We hailed a taxi and asked to go to Palmar condos. Several cabs on Melgar saw this and started yelling at our driver and throwing objects (plastic bottles, trash) at the cab. The driver was obviously scared, it was a terrible ride while the driver was getting screamed at on his dispatch radio with multiple expletives, along with being followed by 2-3 furious cab drivers whom were honking and flashing their high beams. In retrospect, I realize there is a definite hierarchy and order in which the cabs pick up customers. I should been more cognizant of this fact and hailed a cab on Melgar. I was truly scared that these nutters knew where we were staying and would punish us!

While I enjoy using Uber locally and traveling in the states, I would NEVER consider that option in Mexico! It is a shame, since I believe that competition benefits the locals and the tourists. Some may get triggered over the term 'taxi mafia', but if it quacks like a duck.....

Same “mob” control of taxis that you like to support. 😀
I don't care one way or the other about the "mob" here, there, or anywhere.

The Telcel cell phone plan here includes free unlimited social media.
You can get all calls and texts through whatsapp.
They gave me a free SIM card and you can buy a a week or two of data for 200 pesos
You can put as little as 10 pesos per month to keep the plan active and retain the phone number to use with whatapp.
I can call free to us and canada

Two years ago my husband and I were walking on Calle 10, about 1/2 block away from Melgar. We hailed a taxi and asked to go to Palmar condos. Several cabs on Melgar saw this and started yelling at our driver and throwing objects (plastic bottles, trash) at the cab. The driver was obviously scared, it was a terrible ride while the driver was getting screamed at on his dispatch radio with multiple expletives, along with being followed by 2-3 furious cab drivers whom were honking and flashing their high beams. In retrospect, I realize there is a definite hierarchy and order in which the cabs pick up customers. I should been more cognizant of this fact and hailed a cab on Melgar. I was truly scared that these nutters knew where we were staying and would punish us! In the end, I realized it was the driver who broke the rules. We found a driver who has a clean cab, with a/c
We used to have county wars and vigilantes in Texas. See Mason County War - Wikipedia and Great Hanging at Gainesville - Wikipedia. Before my time, but I don't want to forget the lessons. I visited the lovely Mason county courthouse last year the week before it was burned again. The mob drivers you encountered should have been arrested, but it's Mexico.
The Telcel cell phone plan here includes free unlimited social media.
You can get all calls and texts through whatsapp.
They gave me a free SIM card and you can buy a a week or two of data for 200 pesos
You can put as little as 10 pesos per month to keep the plan active and retain the phone number to use with whatapp.
I can call free to us and canada
Sounds nice. My Verizon family Unlimited plan covers all that when I visit, and my DD214 gets my group a $10/line/month discount. There are many such discounts available, tho.

My uber ride from my parking space to my daughter's this morning for my angiogram went well with one drawback. You can't see how many ubers are near like you can taxis, and I was in the first wave at 6am so I went at 5 to be safe. I ended up there at 5:15am, seeing the lab opened at 6, standing there in the dark as 23°, and I hate told. I finally spotted a Starbucks a block away that opened at 5:30 and they let me wait inside. Bless them!

Two years ago my husband and I were walking on Calle 10, about 1/2 block away from Melgar. We hailed a taxi and asked to go to Palmar condos. Several cabs on Melgar saw this and started yelling at our driver and throwing objects (plastic bottles, trash) at the cab. The driver was obviously scared, it was a terrible ride while the driver was getting screamed at on his dispatch radio with multiple expletives, along with being followed by 2-3 furious cab drivers whom were honking and flashing their high beams. In retrospect, I realize there is a definite hierarchy and order in which the cabs pick up customers. I should been more cognizant of this fact and hailed a cab on Melgar. I was truly scared that these nutters knew where we were staying and would punish us!
It sounds to me like there may have been more to it than just the single incident of that driver picking up one fare out of the established sequence. That said, if he jumped the line and flagrantly picked up a fare at a taxi stand without waiting his turn, I am not surprised that the other drivers were upset.

If you need a ride at a taxi stand, go to the front of the line and take the next one in line unless you are with a group too large for a sedan; the drivers usually will pass you down to the next large taxi in the line. It's the way things work there, and when in Rome...

So this Taxi driver attacked a suspected Uber car with acid.

It appears that the government has lost faith in the Quintana Roo State Mobility Institute and is going around them to control the Taxi union's members who are committing the violence

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom