UAL--United Airlines latest baggage policy change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C_C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I received this today in my Frequent Flyer email from United:

"Bag screening and check-in times
In many airports, you will notice new bag screening machines in the lobby area operated by TSA employees. These machines may damage film, so pack your film with your carry-on luggage. Also, you may encounter baggage check-in cut-off times at some airports. To ensure both you and your bag will be accepted for your scheduled departure, for domestic travel we recommend arriving at the airport at least 60 minutes before flight departure if you are not checking bags, and 90 minutes if you are checking bags. For international travel, we recommend arriving 120 minutes before departure. Planning to check a heavy bag? United has eliminated the current $80 fee for overweight checked baggage on domestic flights and replaced it with a new fee of $25 per checked baggage item weighing 50 pounds or more.

For more airport information visit us at Airport Services. "

Notice the change in charges and weights....May save you some cash if you can get everything on one big, heavy, bag that meets dimension restrictions.

I use Rubbermaid Action Packers and UK 1650 Wheeled Cases...what do you use?

C_C

I used to use....key phrase there..."use to use"....Pelican cases. Specifically the 1650 and 1660. Not any more. I have been singled out specifically because of those bags and been searched then searched again at another table 15 ft away after the idiot watched me be searched the first time.

Plus...the last time I used my Pelican case I hadnt even gotten up to the counter when the agent said very loudly....That bag is certainly overweight.

So now I am searching for a "tupper ware" type container just big enough to fit my BC and mask in....that will also fit in a soft non descript duffle bag type suitcase. Nothing that screams ... scuba gear...steal me...but the container provides enough protection from the baggage apes.

I've also found that if it "looks" heavy they freak out, but stealth luggage gets by even if heavy. A large duffel will also attract attention even it's under weight.

I fly with dive gear monthly and use a mid-sized Samsonite hard case with wheels. It works fine and is innocous. Normal looking stuff gets ignored (I'm usually dressed for business and say its full of paper files).

Back
Top Bottom