U/w camera for Pro, compact or dslr?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L:
...the best way to have no silt is not to create any to begin with....

73.gif

bladephotog:
There is one big advantage to a compact P&S system and that's it's smaller size. It's much easier to tote a small system over a DSLR system underwater. Therefore one might be more apt to take it on every dive, lessening the chance of missing something.

Good point you made. A P&S is also much easier to transport on trips as it all fits in a carry-on bag.

The P&S also allows you to shoot whatever you encounter underwater by having along macro and wide angle wet-mount lenses.

bladephotog:
Many people's reactions to improving in ANY endeavor is to spend more money. When I was bicycle racing we used to laugh at these old guys spending tons of money on the fastest wheelsets and lightest bikes when they weren't that fast to begin with.
Now that I'm one of the "old" guys I see things differently.

As they say in Mad Max, "speed is just a question of money - how fast do you want to go...?" In the music world, tone is a question of zeros... Craftsmanship and quality matter in an instrument. My early 90's DW's sound better than your 2004 Tama's. Deal. A 74 Martin crushes a 2005 Takamine...

In the photo world, clarity & sharpness are directly related to zeros. Directly.

That said, you need to separate art from technology. A $10,000 rig will take bad pics if you're a dufus underwater and have no eye for composition. But a great rig is better at staying out of the way, and the $10,000 rig will (all things being equal) deliver a sharper image than a $2,500 rig.

You can't buy your way into a more pleasing image - and that I believe is what you're trying to convey. You can buy your way into a sharper image.

I often tell this story: Whenever I post an image, or show my stuff to people, the women always ask questions like this:

"where was that shot?" "What kind of creature is that?" "When was that...?"

Guys always ask the same question: "what camera did you shoot that with...."

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
I often tell this story: Whenever I post an image, or show my stuff to people, the women always ask questions like this:

"where was that shot?" "What kind of creature is that?" "When was that...?"

Guys always ask the same question: "what camera did you shoot that with...."

---
Ken

Hence the age old expression:
"the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys":D

Mo2vation:
That said, you need to separate art from technology.

You can't buy your way into a more pleasing image - and that I believe is what you're trying to convey. You can buy your way into a sharper image.

---
Ken

You can't seperate art from technology, not in a technological world. I'm not saying that a great system is going to make a great photographer. But it can help you become better. So yes, you can buy your way into a more pleasing image. Like I said earlier though, it won't make you David Doubilet. But better gear helps.

Here's an example of buying your way into a more pleasing image. Many people dump their P&S systems because of the frustratingly slow shutter lag. They are tired of getting nothing but fish butts. A DSLR, with substantially less shutter lag, can decrease the amount of fish butts you are getting. You still have to focus, compose and light the scene. But now you have one less problem to worry about, allowing you to concentrate on the other issues at hand.

As for a great rig staying out of the way, tell that to the IMAX folks. I don't think their rig stayed out of the way of anything. Yet their footage is astounding. The best rig isn't always the easiest to use. That's why is imperative that no matter what you use you are completely comfortable using it. You have to be able to work all of the controls without looking at them.

This is something I feel strongly about. I'm sorry I have to be the one to tell the truth but sometimes you just gotta cough up the money to get the better shot. I do a lot of guest speaking on photojournalism, nature photography and occasionally UW photography. And especially in nature photography, I get a lot of people who ask "how can I get shots like yours of those little warblers with my P&S?" And the short answer is you can't. You need the gear. The gear costs money. Period.

Take your guitar analogy. I'm a crappy guitarist by most standards. But when I bought a Martin, even though it's an entry level Martin, my playing got much better. Why? Several reasons. It's an easier guitar to play. It sounds better. I was more excited about playing so I practiced more. More practice equals better playing.

Again, I'm not trying to say a great rig will turn a crappy photographer into an award winner. 95% of great photography comes from your brain. But don't discount that 5%.

The point I'm really trying to make is that better gear will even out the technological playing field. After that it's all in your head.

We're saying the same thing.

This is not directed towards you - but this is why I make hundreds (sometimes well into a thousand) images a month, and never post in this photo forum, never enter contests, never dispense photo thoughts or advice. There's just very little I can offer.

I'd rather shoot than talk about shooting. I take a big rig into a harsh environment, through pounding surf and sand, and I shoot in dark, cold low viz conditions in and around SoCal.

I have very little in common with most of the photographers here and elsewhere.

I'll leave now.

K

Mo2vation:
'd rather shoot than talk about shooting. I take a big rig into a harsh environment, through pounding surf and sand, and I shoot in dark, cold low viz conditions in and around SoCal.

Welcome to my world..... :)

It's true that many modern compacts are capable of producing professional quality images, and it's obvious that many such images have been made. However, every pro I know uses a variety of SLR's, digital or film, simply because of the flexibility they provide. -Clay

Hey sunkarm
If you love to dive (actually enjoy the diving experience) and want to take pictures that will knock your socks off go with a Sea & Sea P&S (fun and easy to get great pictures with). If you dive only to take great pictures then go with DSLR and when the dive is over look back and see if you had any fun on that dive.
Britt :fish:
:fish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom