U.S. source for fluorosilicone grease?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually my 2 cents worth is worth $1.50. I stumbled on to this site lookin for metric
o-rings. Maryland is a good source of o-rings, also www.oringsusa.com. I don't scuba
dive any more and I never did underwater photography. But, my brother in law was
an underwater cameraman for major hollywood studios. Most underwater cameras were rented but they used only factory seals because they couldn't afford a failure. Film footage was too expensive to ruin, let alone the equipment.

You can buy silicone o-ring in all colors even black. However if it is black it is probably
Buna-Nitrile. The Durometer is probably 50-60-70. Send an original to the o-ring supplier and they will tell you the composition and number and their substitute for it.

Ah! The grease. Every company that supplies grease through the interstate transportation system is suppose to supply a Material Safety Data Sheet [MSDS] for their chemical product upon asking. The MSDS has in it, the chemical name of the product and the Chemical Abstract Service number [CAS#] which is the chemical identification number. Every substance has a unique identification number. This will tell
you what the product is. I suspect the your grease is pure POLYDIMETHLSILOXANE, CAS# 63148-62-9, a Dow 200 or 976 product, silicone fluid. Silicone fluid comes in a number of viscosities. Water has a viscosity of 1 centiStoke. Grease can have the viscosity of 1,000,000 cSt+. The higher the cSt the thicker the fluid. Type POLYDIMETHLSILOXANE GREASE into Google to find a source. Good Luck, Homer

Back
Top Bottom