Question "Silicon [sic] grease" for OEM Aqualung computer battery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wnissen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a couple of replacement battery kits for my Aqualung i550 computer from my LDS, each containing a battery, O-ring, and a tube of lubricant. However, the tube is labeled "silicon grease". It certainly seems like it is silicone grease, based on the feel. But one of the cues I look out for trying to find fake parts is misspellings. Any chance this is not in fact an OEM kit? It came in a small unbranded plastic Ziploc bag with a thermally printed sticker on it. I would be wary of using a knockoff battery, o-ring, and lubricant, and certainly it's not worth $13 a pop! Thanks in advance.

Could be your LDS is buying aftermarket kits too.
With no markings, that seems likely.

On the one hand, I'm not too worried about generic lube for that area. But the bigger concern is cheap (i.e., not smooth and seamless) Chinese o-rings. And whose battery brand does it have? Something that won't disintegrate inside your expensive toy?

Just one more reason there are DIY folks...

Could be your LDS is buying aftermarket kits too.
With no markings, that seems likely.

On the one hand, I'm not too worried about generic lube for that area. But the bigger concern is cheap (i.e., not smooth and seamless) Chinese o-rings. And whose battery brand does it have? Something that won't disintegrate inside your expensive toy?

Just one more reason there are DIY folks...
OK, that is good to know. The o-ring was smooth and shiny, no marks. I didn't think to compare the battery, I will do that when I get home. I did request OEM kits from my LDS, on the theory that I could buy a battery and the correct o-ring from McMaster Carr for substantially less, but it was worth having the first-party components. It's not just the cost, but I don't have a separate SPG or backup computer, so if it dies (for whatever reason) I am figuratively dead in the water.

OK, that is good to know. The o-ring was smooth and shiny, no marks. I didn't think to compare the battery, I will do that when I get home. I did request OEM kits from my LDS, on the theory that I could buy a battery and the correct o-ring from McMaster Carr for substantially less, but it was worth having the first-party components. It's not just the cost, but I don't have a separate SPG or backup computer, so if it dies (for whatever reason) I am figuratively dead in the water.

Just so you know the o-ring that was sold to you from Aqualung most likely came from McMaster Carr anyways along with the little tube of silicon and the battery. There is no way Aqualung makes there own in house o-rings, tubes of silicon and batteries. They just buy all these items in bulk from an distributer then they simply repackage and jack the price up.

Its like Shearwater battery o-rings, if you buy them from Shearwater the are like $5 for a pair but in reality these are just standard DIN o-ring ( #112, 70D, Buna-N) I just buy a 200 pack from theoringstore.com for like $3 and have a lifetime supply, same with all other o-rings for my rebreathers, regs, lights, etc.

Yes there are different grades of silicon grease and different textures for example I buy big tubes of Molykote 111 and pretty much use that on everything because I find it stay in place better then silicon. but for a computer battery I would not be to fussed about it this is a static component that see little wear and tear. Who cares what the tube looks like or if it is generic.

Back
Top Bottom