U.S. Divers equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luke.k1983

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

i would like to buy my own mask, fins and snorkel but scubapro/tusa etc gear is a bit too expensive for me so I am wondering whether there is something wrong with U.S. Divers brand or that its alright to use it.

Cheers,

Luke

I think it all depends. USD does offer some inexpensive snorkeling sets with fins that are junk. They won't stand up to mild skin-diving, never mind long term use in scuba diving.

If you're talking about separate items being sold at the local dive shop then it's entirely a matter of choice. ScubaPro has good stuff but they are hardly the last word.

It will vary with selection but you can plan on close to $100 for a good pair of fins, $40 - $100 for the mask and $15 - $25 for the snorkel. For a predictable fit of your new fins you may add booties at $30 -$40. You can do a little better on sales. Many shops offer a student discount on the order of 10%.

Pete

So you are saying its more about what suits me the best. I guess I could invest a little more into a good par of fins, I was more concerned about the mask that USD sell. Not talking about a long term use at the moment because im just a recreational diver and dive approx 2-4 times every 3-4 months, i just wasnt sure whether these mask can be used to dive do some 12-15 meters without worrying about the quality of the mask

Cheers

Luke

Luke,

In the case of the mask in particular "what suits (fits) you is almost all that matters, more here. There is a huge price range in masks. In many cases an OEM is making a mask and putting a brand name on it. You can often find the identical mask being sold under numerous brand names including "no name". The cost of tooling and manufacturing a complete line of masks is more than most companies will invest in. There are some exceptions.

If it has tempered glass lenses and a silicone skirt (black or clear) the overall quality is probably about as good as any. Also look for one with a sturdy strap, I have seen some with spaghetti straps that I would not trust.

The depth of your dives does not put the mask under any stress since the pressures inside and out are equalized.

Pete

Depth is not really an issue when discussing mask, remember the only issue would be differential pressure between the water and the air inside the mask and that is never going to get high. If it does, the pain will make you equalize the space. An inexpensive mask will likely not last as long but even then the life is likely many years. The biggest issue I see is most of those mask...or at least the ones we see in the states, they are packaged in a way that you have to distroy the package to get to the mask so trying it on for fit before buying it is pretty much impossible.
Fins are another matter, the quality of mass marketed snorkle fins is pretty bad and while you can use them , they are not a good idea because they do not work that well.
An alternative to inexpensive new equipment is to find some quality used gear. Dive fins from the past are usually still quite good, they may need to have the strap replaced but that is a minor cost. Snorkles are pretty much impossible to wear out and a quality dive mask will last many many years. Try looking in your local for sale adds for used scuba gear, odds are you can find some at a very good price.

Thanks both of you, in my mind i knew about the equalized pressure but didnt think about it. Already tried to search for used equipment but with no luck. I have the option to try the mask before buying so that is not an issue, so i guess i will go and try some masks on, see how it fits etc and look for better fins to go with it.

Luke

Back
Top Bottom