U-Boats in the Gulf of Mexico Near Tampa Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's actually an XXI class; Surrendered in Norway in 1945, then transferred over to Ireland, and then to the US in 1945 where it was, I'm sure, dissected. It was then sunk in 1951 during rocket tests. There's some good details in the Keatts book, as well as Mike Barnette's Shipwrecks of the Sunshine State.

There's at least two folks here that have dove her... but; well; I dropped them both off at the airport this afternoon for their returns home. I'll point them to this thread when they get back online.

Welcome aboard, Gene!

Spectre:
It's actually an XXI class; Surrendered in Norway in 1945, then transferred over to Ireland, and then to the US in 1945 where it was, I'm sure, dissected. It was then sunk in 1951 during rocket tests. There's some good details in the Keatts book, as well as Mike Barnette's Shipwrecks of the Sunshine State.

There's at least two folks here that have dove her... but; well; I dropped them both off at the airport this afternoon for their returns home. I'll point them to this thread when they get back online.

I did a quick Google and found this brief narrative-
http://www.dive-rite.com/expeditions/u_2513/03.htm

Hope it helps some. :06:

awesome info! One of my engineer pals drafted a design for a peroxide sub... the concept behind these things was pretty sweet.
I wonder if there's a book summarizing all the tech advances the world gained from the nazis. Too bad they were the bad guys... try to imagine what even a few more years might have wrought.

U-boats sunk in the Gulf of Mexico are a myth. While they were spotted off of the coast during WWII, there were never any known confirmations of sinkings. I've heard rumors of one being sunk off of the Ft Myers/Sanibel area, Tampa, Naples, Key West, etc., but nothing substantial has ever been returned for records other than "possible sighting".

CBulla:
U-boats sunk in the Gulf of Mexico are a myth.

You're excluding U-166, right? That's been eyeballed direct by robot subs off of Louisiana. Dang thing dominates most internet searches. The episode of Deep Sea Detectives on it was pretty good, saw it last week.

I'm referring to coastline and near coast sinkings where "sightings" were reported - sorry, I should have made that clear. I have had the question of "how can I dive the sunken U-boats off the coast?" a few times.

Speaking of U-boats - maybe we should get a group together to dive the U-352 off of North Carolina. I've been thinking of doing that one for several years. Lots of sand tigers, not too deep (115 fsw), and still relatively intact.

That might be a good trip for the fall if we have enough interest.

-G

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom