U-Boats in the Gulf of Mexico Near Tampa Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gene

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm new to the Scubaboard...Greetings! Thought I would jump right in and ask if anyone knows (or has heard) about any U-Boats in the Gulf of Mexico near Tampa Bay. Thanks...

Gene:
I'm new to the Scubaboard...Greetings! Thought I would jump right in and ask if anyone knows (or has heard) about any U-Boats in the Gulf of Mexico near Tampa Bay. Thanks...

No u boats that I know about.

Deep Sea Detectives just had a show on this subject. The only U boat they mentioned in the Gulf of Mexico is off the coast of Louisiana and over 500 feet down.

You missed a zero CA Diver. The show said its in 5000 feet of water

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue:

If you find a U-boat we can dive on there, let me know. It won't take me long to get there...

don
:D

For many years there have been rumours of a sunken U-boat in the shallow muddy waters off the Matagorda coast of Texas. They're just rumours though, and I figure the WWII historians would be keeping accounts on that sort of thing. They seem to have pinned down the U-166's identity without too much fuss.

The only one I know of in the gulf is U-166, and as mentioned is 5000 feet down. Down in the Dry Tortugas there is U-2513, which is diveable at about 230 feet. U-176 was found by a canadian deep sea research team when looking for spanish galleons. 1) it's in cuban waters, and 2) it's over 800 meters down.

U-157 is pretty close to cuban waters as well, and I've not dug up anything about that one. I assume it's the same situation as U-176.

wow, never heard of 2513. Apparently Deep-Sea Detectives hasn't either, as they're flooding the internet with U-166 being the "only U-boat in the Gulf of Mexico." The Tortugas most definitely lies within the Gulf.

Could you give us more info on this sub? 2513 doesn't sound like a Type IX class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom