U-853 A look inside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two more that come to mind,

There are reports of a sub off of Halifax that was found a few years back. I think it was a German WWII boat that was sunk as a target.

Also, U-215 is about 100 or so mile NE of Cape Cod in about 250' and has been dove. I think that her hatches are also closed.

Two older books that you should get are by Hank Keats: "Dive into History: US Subs" and "Dive into History: U-boats". These two books will just about tell you all you need to know about what subs are out there.

The 215 is fully sealed as best as they can tell, and yeah that's a hell of a dive in 250' plus, and on George's bank with wicked current. There is one sub off the coast of Halifax that I know of that is actually a WWI British sub, that was given to the Canadians for sub detection practice during WWII, and then scrapped and dropped to the bottom, that may be the one you are referring to. Those are the only 2 subs I know anything about :D

Gilldiver:
In the US East and Gulf coasts the subs that can be dove & penitrated are

From North to South:
USS L-8 (sunk as target)
USS Bass (sunk as target)
U-853 (war loss)
U-869 (war loss)
USS Bleny (sunk as dive/fishing wreck)
USS S-5 (Accidental loss)
U-85 (war loss)
USS Tarpon (Sunk on way to scrap yard)
U-352 (war loss)
U-2513 (sunk as target)

There are a few others but they are either broken up (USS G-1 and G-2) or no hatches are reported to be open (USS Spikefish) or are beyond diving range (USS O-9, USS Thresser, USS Scorpion). I did not include U-701 (war loss) and U-1105 (target) as both are sanded or silted in and you can not penitrate them. There are also a number of German WWI boats off of Virgina that have been dove, but are at the limit of SCUBA at 250-300+ feet. Finaly, there is a Greman WWI boat in Lake Michagan at about 250'. These last Greman WWI boats were sunk as targets and have not been penitrated to my knowlage.

On the left coast I only know of USS S-37 off of Imperial Beach, Calif as being divable and with some penetration. But she is in only 30' or so and can have a lot of surge.

I have dove the Uss L-8, Uss Bass, Uss Tarpon, U-853, the U-85, and the U-701
Out of all of them i think the Uss Tarpon is the best dive.
This is a link to a video i took while diving the Tarpon
http://www.theaquaplanet.com/view_video.php?viewkey=c49e5a833517c45d3107

[). I did not include U-701 (war loss) and U-1105 (target) as both are sanded or silted in and you can not penitrate them.

I read that also but i saw video of some one coming out of the U-701 so it looks like the hatches must be open.

I would love to get back on the Tarpon, it has been over 10 years now since I was last there. But everytime I was there there were no sharks, so I had to spend my time inside her. The control room is great but there are many things to see in the engine room:D But you need to have someone on the outside as the escape trunk is about 3' long and you may need help getting back out.

The forward torpedo room torpedo loading hatch was blocked last time I was there and the after torpedo hatch had its at sea supports still in place. I only know of 3 or 4 who have ever got inside that compartment. You need to take your tanks off and go in on a 40 stage bottle to get by the supports. Again, not something you want to do without a diver stationed at the hatch to help you out or give you a reg "in case of."

Attachments

• Tarpon Gages.jpg
    Tarpon Gages.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 137
Gilldiver:
In the US East and Gulf coasts the subs that can be dove & penitrated are

From North to South:
USS L-8 (sunk as target)
USS Bass (sunk as target)
U-853 (war loss)
U-869 (war loss)
USS Bleny (sunk as dive/fishing wreck)
USS S-5 (Accidental loss)
U-85 (war loss)
USS Tarpon (Sunk on way to scrap yard)
U-352 (war loss)
U-2513 (sunk as target)

There are a few others but they are either broken up (USS G-1 and G-2) or no hatches are reported to be open (USS Spikefish) or are beyond diving range (USS O-9, USS Thresser, USS Scorpion). I did not include U-701 (war loss) and U-1105 (target) as both are sanded or silted in and you can not penitrate them. There are also a number of German WWI boats off of Virgina that have been dove, but are at the limit of SCUBA at 250-300+ feet. Finaly, there is a Greman WWI boat in Lake Michagan at about 250'. These last Greman WWI boats were sunk as targets and have not been penitrated to my knowlage.

On the left coast I only know of USS S-37 off of Imperial Beach, Calif as being divable and with some penetration. But she is in only 30' or so and can have a lot of surge.

I too have a great interest in U-boats and have noted other scattered reports of U-boats around the US. Perhaps someone has insight on some of the following U-boats and reports:

There is a NC/VA coastal map showing the general locations for the U-521 , U-548 and U-576 off of the coast of Virginia but I have not read that they have been located. The U-576 has been reported to be 550' deep off of Hatteras and apparently divers attempted to dive this boat in 1994 but were unsuccessful.

The U-550 is reportedly 70 miles south of Nantucket Island, MA but to my knowledge has not been found.

The U-215 report that I have read is that it is at a depth of 270' off of Nova Scotia's south coast. Apparently it was featured in an episode of The Sea Hunters.

The U-166 has been found in the Gulf of Mexico but is reported to be a depth of 5000'!

As far as the UC-97 in Lake Michigan, I believe that it is illegal to dive as the 1992 recovery company owns her rights. Apparently, they want to raise her and take her back to Chicago as a show boat. In the meantime, she lies right where she is at a 250' depth.

GypsyDoc:
The U-215 report that I have read is that it is at a depth of 270' off of Nova Scotia's south coast. Apparently it was featured in an episode of The Sea Hunters.

I have that episode of The Sea Hunters (all of them actually) on DVD, I think it was one of their best episodes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom