U-853 A look inside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbg40:
And your just getting around to sharing???? That was a fun day, do you still have your pet bird??

Yes that was a fun day but that bird was never seen again.

wreck.reel:
The vis looked pretty good that day. Nice clip, i liked the music, Jaws.

I saw your clip of the Volund, Winter diving http://www.theaquaplanet.com/view_video.php?viewkey=aafc66cc0879c71b5db5

Thats a nice little boat what kind is it. Sorry i called you a nut in that other post i thought you where a guy that had a Boston whaler. I never dove the Volund in the winter. The vis in the clip looked pretty good. I hope you dont mind that i linked your clip.

Thanks wreck reel, my boat in that clip is a Eastporter. I also have a 17' Boston whaler.
So it very well could have been me.

One fin:
Thanks wreck reel, my boat in that clip is a Eastporter. I also have a 17' Boston whaler.
So it very well could have been me.

Two boats what kind of job do you have? I noticed on aquaplanet some clips of North Carolina. That Tarpon clip was pretty sweet. Ive always wanted to dive that wreck but what id realy like to dive is the U-701. From what i saw on your clip of the 701, it looks like a great dive.

You should link your other clips on this site.

Im going to send you a private message i have a project dive im working on that id like to video. This weekend is out. They are calling for 7 to 10' seas.

If you get up into the forward torpedo room, the tubes look a lot like this. But I would warn you that the areas forward of the conning tower are the hardest to penetrate and have most of the entanglement hazards. Don't go there unless you know what you are doing.

Anyone doing the U-853 for the first time would be wise to just poke their heads into some of the bomb holes. If you have to be inside of the boat, go to the after torpedo room and go forward into the eletric motor room and right out the bomb hole on your right. It is a direct line of sight run with little entanglement.

To get into the forward Torpedo room the best way is through the forward torpedo loading hatch. But this takes a bit of practice. Go to the aft loading hatch and practice getting in and out through it. As the upper deck of the aft torpedo room was blasted off, all you are doing is going through a ring and not really into an overhead environment.

Attachments

• U-853 Torpedo Tube small.jpg
    U-853 Torpedo Tube small.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 158
paulthenurse:
Actually, I really want to dive her also, but I don't think I will. I admit having reservations about doing so because of the remains of her crew. . . .
In this sport each of us must identify and understand what we can do within our own comfort level, both physically and emotionally. I can appreciate what Paul and others are saying in their deliberations about diving the U-853, I had a friend and dive buddy many years ago that refused to dive her (or any submarine wreck) because he was a Submariner and just thinking about a sunken sub bothered him. As was mentioned, we are the sum of our life experiences, and with each of us leading different lives we are bound to have a variety of thoughts and beliefs about visiting a site where so many brave souls lost their lives. Some divers will dive the wreck and have no desire to venture inside, out of respect for the dead, and others are not inclined to dive her at all. On the other end of the spectrum, there was a group about 15 years ago that was using an air lift to suck the silt out of the u-boat, all the while depositing the debris and bones on the exterior of the wreck. Whenever we would find remains on the exterior of the vessel we would return them to the inside. And no, I certainly do not condone that type of behavior.

For me, when I am working my way through the u-boat, I do so with a profound appreciation regarding what those men went through in the name of duty, honor, and national pride. The same attributes that drive all men and women serving their respective countries. There is no morbid fascination – the truth be told, there are not that many bones lying around – just amazement over how so many men could climb into such a small space, end up living in near squalor, dive into the ocean, and travel half way around the world. Most knowing that they probably would not return.

As for respecting the dead, in my view, merely being around or viewing human remains does not qualify as disrespect. Many people work with the dead, some of us are around cadavers in our work, at any time somewhere in the world people studying our history are digging up human remains. Most all of us have stood and viewed human remains in a museum, just inches away.

In the end, as I stated earlier, it’s about what we – as individuals - are comfortable with doing. What I think we can all agree on is that we should respect each others opinion.

OK . . . I’ll get off the soap box now and get back to work.

Be Safe,

Dennis

Well said, sir. Thank you.

In the US East and Gulf coasts the subs that can be dove & penitrated are

From North to South:
USS L-8 (sunk as target)
USS Bass (sunk as target)
U-853 (war loss)
U-869 (war loss)
USS Bleny (sunk as dive/fishing wreck)
USS S-5 (Accidental loss)
U-85 (war loss)
USS Tarpon (Sunk on way to scrap yard)
U-352 (war loss)
U-2513 (sunk as target)

There are a few others but they are either broken up (USS G-1 and G-2) or no hatches are reported to be open (USS Spikefish) or are beyond diving range (USS O-9, USS Thresser, USS Scorpion). I did not include U-701 (war loss) and U-1105 (target) as both are sanded or silted in and you can not penitrate them. There are also a number of German WWI boats off of Virgina that have been dove, but are at the limit of SCUBA at 250-300+ feet. Finaly, there is a Greman WWI boat in Lake Michagan at about 250'. These last Greman WWI boats were sunk as targets and have not been penitrated to my knowlage.

On the left coast I only know of USS S-37 off of Imperial Beach, Calif as being divable and with some penetration. But she is in only 30' or so and can have a lot of surge.

Gilldiver, very interesting, thanks for the info. Diving a sub is one of those things I've been fascinated with since I started diving 14 years ago. I'll have to make a trip to the east coast one of these days and see a few of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom