Types of snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have guest on island, I was going through my "extra" gear to get some snorkeling set together and was in awe at how many snorkels I have, what pictured is only a fraction of the mask and snorkels I have, it might be time for a garage sale!

Attachments

• 20180503_072258.jpg
    20180503_072258.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 73
I searched a thread with a type and description of the different kind of snorkels but I didn't find exactly what I need. I would like to see a list of different kind of snorkels, their different features and the purpose why should choose that type. And then perhaps some specific brand and model recommendations, that I can find anyway in other discussions

1) Traditional snorkel (tube + mouthpiece)
2) Semi-dry snorkel (fills with water; with purge valve and splash guard)
3) Dry snorkel (doesn't fill with water; with purge valve and dry valve)
4) Roll up snorkel
5) Foldable snorkel
6) Full face snorkeling mask
I like #2 for actual snorkeling. I keep #4 in my pocket while diving just in case I need one. I've had a few #5 over the years and don't like them. None have been as compact as a rollup snorkel, but always seem to fail somehow at whatever folds or joints, seem like a bad compromise.

I never tried #6 and don't have much desire.
Honestly, I understand the possible risks but I think there is also some overcriticism
It's not common for people to go snorkeling for a whole day without rest, without removing the mask and going panic. Many people need simple snorkeling gears, sometimes to stay close to the shore and inside the reef where they can even stand up and walk and they don't do that only because there are the corals. In such environment and with a responsible usage full face masks can be fine

Meh. We've just returned from Curacao, I think the only snorkelers not wearing FFMs there were us when the boat stopped by the blue room one day. Everyone I could see from AllWest terrace, and a few people I saw around GoWest shop, all had teletubbies masks. I don't think anyone died or even panicked.

ROTFL

They look stupid and are a solution to a non existent problem.

BS. You can argue about looks, but for some people the problem is very much existent. Just because you weren't born with cleft palate or overactive nerves in your throat doesn't mean everybody else is equally lucky.

Back
Top Bottom