Types of snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not tested yet. The overall impression is good but of course I have to try it

Now if we compare these with the Head study results, you can see that neither is very hazardous. However, these levels were not taken of a panicked snorkeler, hyperventilating and having a very high respiration rate with a very low respiratory volume. It is this situation that I feel could be very hazardous with the full-face snorkeling masks.
*CSP = Certified Safety Professional; CIH = Certified Industrial Hygienist
John, since the level of your post is quite technical, I have a question perhaps you can help
Let us say in normal conditions (without panic) I want to do snorkeling with a full-face snorkeling mask. As long as I take breaks from time to time the risk fo CO2 buildup should be very low. At which intervals one is supposed to stop snorkeling and refill the mask with fresh air, let us say 30 minutes or so? In fact one could even just lift the mask for some seconds and put it back, it should be enough to reduce significantly the risks

John, since the level of your post is quite technical, I have a question perhaps you can help
Let us say in normal conditions (without panic) I want to do snorkeling with a full-face snorkeling mask. As long as I take breaks from time to time the risk fo CO2 buildup should be very low. At which intervals one is supposed to stop snorkeling and refill the mask with fresh air, let us say 30 minutes or so? In fact one could even just lift the mask for some seconds and put it back, it should be enough to reduce significantly the risks
Sbiriguda,

This is a question I cannot answer without further data. The problem is that each mask may be somewhat different. Some have a separate part of the snorkel for inhalation and exhalation is routed out on the sides. This mask will probably have different buildup potentials from other masks which don't do this (less, in this case). My recommendation is to take the mask to a pool, try it under different circumstances, and get a "feel" for it. In other words, "qualify" it for your open water experiences. Each person breaths differently too, and breaths differently under different circumstances. So get to know the mask, define its abilities and limits, and then take it to open water.

SeaRat

In my case, snorkels for scuba diving must be very small and light, they should fit in a pocket. I would say that the important features are the kind of clip and if the pipe is hard like in this telescopic snorkel or if it is soft and foldable like the roll up. Snorkels for snorkeling are a completely different thing

I've grimoc carabiner tied to the mouthpiece on mine. So I can clip it to the d-ring (the other end goes under the belt, or under the piece of bike tire on the webbing). I find that if you leave it in the bag on the boat most of the time, it doesn't need to be foldable, rollable, telescopic, or any other thing. And if you go snorkeling, the proper ones also work better.

(https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/ist-silicone-soft-flex-tube-snorkel-38816)

Last edited:
I've grimoc carabiner tied to the mouthpiece on mine. So I can clip it to the d-ring (the other end goes under the belt, or under the piece of bike tire on the webbing). I find that if you leave it in the bag on the boat most of the time, it doesn't need to be foldable, rollable, telescopic, or any other thing. And if you go snorkeling, the proper ones also work better.

(https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/ist-silicone-soft-flex-tube-snorkel-38816)

Haha. You are making some excellent points. Mahalo for the laugh!

The point is snorkels are almost the only kind of scuba gear that you can buy for very little money, so they are almost the only kind of gear that you can collection without going bankrupt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom