Types of snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I searched a thread with a type and description of the different kind of snorkels but I didn't find exactly what I need. I would like to see a list of different kind of snorkels, their different features and the purpose why should choose that type. And then perhaps some specific brand and model recommendations, that I can find anyway in other discussions

1) Traditional snorkel (tube + mouthpiece)
2) Semi-dry snorkel (fills with water; with purge valve and splash guard)
3) Dry snorkel (doesn't fill with water; with purge valve and dry valve)
4) Roll up snorkel
5) Foldable snorkel
6) Full face snorkeling mask

1) good, cheap, use them for snorkeling, they're good
2)don't like purge valves. Make students tape them. They like to leak
3) stupid and way too heavy up top. Can cause jaw fatigue. Splash guard works well, but is super annoying IMO
4) good if you are scuba diving in the ocean where you may need/want a snorkel for extended surface periods. Great for keeping in a pocket
5) unsure how that is different than above, but if it just folds I don't see a point in it
6) dangerous, don't use them

for recommendations. I buy cheap snorkels. Simple J snorkels are fine, if you do a lot of snorkeling the ones that have a corrugated bottom bit can be more comfortable and some of them can use scuba mouthpieces which is nice.
For ocean scuba diving, just grab a cheap rolling snorkel and stick it in your pocket

About the difference between roll up and foldable, they are very similar. They are both foldable, roll up are folded...well... like a roll. Foldable tend to be bigger and not really pocket size, but like half the size of a J snorkel once folded. May I ask why do you consider full face snorkeling masks dangerous? Because of possible CO2 build up in the mask?

About the difference between roll up and foldable, they are very similar. They are both foldable, roll up are folded...well... like a roll. Foldable tend to be bigger and not really pocket size, but like half the size of a J snorkel once folded. May I ask why do you consider full face snorkeling masks dangerous? Because of possible CO2 build up in the mask?

CO2 buildup being the biggest one. Way too much deadspace in there.

no point in foldable if they won't fit in a pocket...

I searched a thread with a type and description of the different kind of snorkels but I didn't find exactly what I need. I would like to see a list of different kind of snorkels, their different features and the purpose why should choose that type. And then perhaps some specific brand and model recommendations, that I can find anyway in other discussions

1) Traditional snorkel (tube + mouthpiece)
2) Semi-dry snorkel (fills with water; with purge valve and splash guard)
3) Dry snorkel (doesn't fill with water; with purge valve and dry valve)
4) Roll up snorkel
5) Foldable snorkel
6) Full face snorkeling mask

What, exactly, is it that you need? Corrugations might be fine for hanging out on the surface waiting for the dive boat but could cause fatigue and frustration if you are free-diving.

Like tbone1004 said, forget the purge valve. In my experience sooner or later they all leak.

I cannot imagine any use for a "dry" snorkel. Why not just learn how to clear a snorkel?

Full face snorkeling masks have been attributed to some deaths recently, and for some odd reason they seem to occur mainly on Maui and mainly with Northern Californians and Canadians. I'm safe because I'm a Southern Californian (plus I'll never use one). The first time I saw one was a couple years ago in Costa Rica and I felt like I needed to keep an eye on the guy wearing it and that was before I'd heard anything bad about them.

I've never seen a folding or roll up snorkel and don't know why I would want one. I'm happy with having my snorkel attached to my mask while scuba diving plus I may go free-diving later so I don't have to look for my snorkel or attach it.

@JamesBon92007 long hose donation is a problem with snorkels on mask and they cause unnecessary drag while diving. Especially problematic in technical diving. The roll up pocket snorkels are great because you only add the annoyance of a snorkel when you need it vs. all the time. To each his own, but if I'm on scuba, I'm scuba diving, not snorkeling and may only need it for infrequent circumstances at the surface

In Italy as I far as I saw it's uncommon for scuba divers to bring a snorkel with them
Anyway, I wanted to get one, very small roll up and pocket size for the same reasons of tbone1004

As for the type I need, I usually bring with me a Tribord full face snorkeling mask (not for diving of course). I know some people believe it is not safe, and you do as well. By now I used it without any problem. For snorkeling it is comfortable because it doesn't have a mouthpiece. From time to time I just stop, remove the mask and take a rest, and then put it again.
Perhaps I will also buy a snorkel, plain old J-snorkel type, since they are also cheap

@JamesBon92007 long hose donation is a problem with snorkels on mask and they cause unnecessary drag while diving. Especially problematic in technical diving. The roll up pocket snorkels are great because you only add the annoyance of a snorkel when you need it vs. all the time. To each his own, but if I'm on scuba, I'm scuba diving, not snorkeling and may only need it for infrequent circumstances at the surface

It would have been a problem on the Manta Ray Night Dive as it would have presented a hazard to the rays. For me it's not a problem but I don't do anything that might be called "technical diving." But it might explain why I'm always drifting faster than everyone else and have to duck under a rock until the others catch up :wink:

Similar to @tbone1004, I also went with a simpler, cheaper snorkel for diving. I have a roll up one as well and keep it in my bag on the boat unless there is a foreseeable surface swim. I can roll it back up at depth or tuck it away so it's not flapping me in the face all dive long. I can see why someone might want a fancier one for intended snorkeling since they would be spending a more significant amount of time on the surface and would want comfort and convenience features that a dry snorkel, etc., would provide. However, as divers, we really do spend minimal time on the surface and when we are there, a simple snorkel more than usually fits the bill. One could say chop or larger waves can facilitate water ingress down the snorkel. When it gets that bad, I just pop in my reg and swim. :D

I have the Aqua Lung Nautilus that I am quite happy with but this one is also very similar and has great reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Choice-Silicone-Nautilus-Container/dp/B00YLVVFP8

As a traditional j-snorkel I considering buying this one
Amazon.it:Recensioni clienti: Cressi America Snorkel, Nero
The features that might change are rigid vs soft silicone snorkel, and snorkel length
This one for example is relatively short and the material is soft
In comments in Italian they say more or less what you already said below (others tend to leak, old fashioned is better, etc.) and that too rigid could hurt the face

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom