Types of SMB/Safety Sausage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KawabungaDude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello again all.

Just a quick question is there a preferred color for an SMB (or safety sausage... not sure if there is a difference)? Also is there a preferred type? As far as I can tell there are two types the ones you would inflate through a big opening by purging your regulator into and the other being the orally inflated type. Is there pros and cons to either?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Orange is the norm. Yellow is often used by tech divers to signify an issue at a deco stop.

There is a difference - an SMB can be attached to a spool and deployed from depth, whereas a safety sausage can only be used at the surface.

For SMBs, the oral inflation type tend to be easier to deploy, because when the air in it comes from your lungs, you won't have a significant buoyancy shift. It is a good idea to get some training and practice prior to launching one in the ocean. Line can be tricky.

Actually...

An SMB is also known as a safety sausage, same thing. SMB stands for Surface Marker Buoy. An SMB is meant to be deployed only on the surface. A DSMB is a Delayed SMB. DSMBs have a pressure relief, or OPV, to let expanding gas escape as the DSMB ascends through the water column. It is commonly accepted that all of the above devices are grouped under the title of SMB.

I would say for anyone looking at only buying one marker buoy to go for the DSMB type.

It will work just as well on the surface as the sausage but can also be deployed below the surface as a signal that you are at your stop and to indicate to the boat of your vicinity. I would also suggest that the type that are self sealing (duck bill type valve) are a good idea as if you buy an open ended one you are reliant on the buoy being pulled downwards to maintain inflation whereas the self sealing will maintain its shape until forcibly deflated by operation of the valve.

IMO, training not a big deal--unless you're a newbie which looks to be the case----BUT----practice(can make you perfect..:)) would be a great idea.....As sea otter said, that line can go 'go crazy' on you if you're not prepared.......

Hello again all.

Just a quick question is there a preferred color for an SMB (or safety sausage... not sure if there is a difference)? Also is there a preferred type? As far as I can tell there are two types the ones you would inflate through a big opening by purging your regulator into and the other being the orally inflated type. Is there pros and cons to either?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tobin

If you're diving in the ocean, get a 6' DSMB. Smaller one's don't show easily in a swell. Oral inflate - meh in my opinion. Yes they are slightly easier to inflate, but I had no issues with the bottom inflate. I want my DSMB to have enough air at the surface so that is sticks up more than a few inches. Also (in the ocean) its nice to have one big enough when fully inflated to act as secondary buoyancy.

I use a 6' as the norm, I do have a 12' for when the brown stuff hits the fan.
I highly recommend a dive alert horn too for ocean diving.

I live by the mantra that I alone am responsible for others being able to see and hear me at the surface. But that's just my opinion

I use a 6' as the norm, I do have a 12' for when the brown stuff hits the fan.
I highly recommend a dive alert horn too for ocean diving.

"Taller" SMB's are only more effective if you can keep them upright.....

Tobin

^ ^ ^ ^

Absolutely agree.

And a DSMB of any size that is lazily inflated with little air in it (think guides you try to impress by inflating one off their reg exhaust at 3m) is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Back
Top Bottom